Chapter 40

A few more days went by. It was the middle of the night. Amber was trying to sleep, but kept tossing and turning.

It had been two weeks since she was diagnosed with Leukemia. She felt much worse now than she did then. Amber was lying in her hospital bed. Lately she had been feeling much weaker. She was attempting to eat, but wasn't succeeding.

"I'm going to be sick." Amber said. Charlie moved a bowl in front of her. Renée rubbed Amber's back as she threw up. When she finished, Amber laid back against the bed.

"You ok?" Charlie asked Amber as Renée stroked her hair. Amber nodded, weakly.

"Why don't you try eating so more." Renée suggested.

"I can't." Amber said. "I'm just going to throw up again."

"You don't have to eat anymore, if you don't want to." Charlie said.

Amber started crying. "I don't want to be sick." She said between sobs.

"Shh. It's ok, baby." Renée said, comforting Amber. "It's going to be ok."

Amber woke up, startled. She looked around and saw that she was in the Cullen's house.

"Hey, are you ok?" Jasper said. Amber turned to look at him. "Another dream?" Jasper asked. Amber nodded. "What was it about?"

"Just another dream about when I was first sick." Amber said. "I've been having them a lot lately."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jasper asked.

"That's not what I want to talk about." Amber said.

"We're not talking about the battle anymore." Jasper said. "It's already been decided that Rosalie is staying here with you. Frankly, I would prefer for either me or Carlisle to stay here."

"But, you both need to be there." Amber said.

"Which is why Rosalie is going to stay with you." Jasper said.

"You all need to be there." Amber said. "I'm not the priority right now."

"You are always my first priority." Jasper said. "With you so sick, I don't want you here alone. And Carlisle agrees with me."

"But." Amber started.

"I've already told you it's not up for discussion." Jasper said.

"You're treating me like a child." Amber said.

"Well, you're kind of acting like one right now." Jasper said.

"Hey." Amber said as she playfully hit Jasper. Jasper chuckled.

"Be careful out there." Amber said.

"I will." Jasper said.

"Tell Seth to be careful too." Amber said.

"He's not fighting." Jasper said.

"He isn't?" Amber said.

"Edward isn't fighting, either." Jasper explained. "He and Bella are on a mountain away from the field. Jacob and Seth with them. Jake is fighting tomorrow, but Seth is staying with Bella and Edward."

"Oh ok." Amber said.

"In case I'm gone before you wake you, I love you." Jasper said.

"I love you too." Amber said.

Jasper kissed Amber. "Now, go to back to sleep." He said.

"Stop treating me like a child." Amber said.

"Just go back to sleep." Jasper said with a chuckle. Amber rolled her eyes before going to sleep.

When Amber woke up, she saw Jasper was gone. She noticed a note on the bedside table. It was from Jasper. It said that he had left and that he loved her. Amber got out of the bed and headed downstairs. She walked into the living room.

"Good morning, Amber." Rosalie greeted.

"Morning." Amber said as she joined her on the couch.

"How are you this morning?" Rosalie asked.

"Ok." Amber said.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Rosalie asked.

"Could I have some oatmeal, please?" Amber asked.

"Sure." Rosalie said. She stood up from the couch. "You're welcome to put on whatever you want." Rosalie said before walking out of room.

Amber nodded. She turned the tv on and started flipping through the channels.

After a few minutes, Rosalie came back into the room with a tray. The tray had a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of orange juice on it.

"Here you go, Amber." Rosalie said as she set the tray in front of Amber.

"Thank you, Rosalie." Amber said.

"You're welcome, Amber." Rosalie said.

"I'm sorry you're stuck babysitting me." Amber said.

"It's fine." Rosalie said.

"You guys need all the help you can get." Amber said.

"We all didn't want you here without someone here with you. It wasn't just Jasper and Carlisle." Rosalie said. "I volunteered to stay here with you." Amber nodded.

Throughout the day, Amber couldn't to talk to Rosalie. She took a nap during the afternoon. By late afternoon, Amber was still sitting in the living room, watching tv. Rosalie was in the kitchen, getting her something to eat. Just then, everyone came into the house.

"Jasper!" Amber said.

"Hey Darling." Jasper said, going over to her and kissing her.

"I'm glad you're ok." Amber said.

"I'm fine." Jasper said. "How have you been today?"

"The same." Amber said.

"Hi Amber." Bella said.

"Hey Bells." Amber said.

"There's someone here to see you." Bella said.

Amber turned around and saw Seth. "Seth!" Amber said.

"Hey Amber." Seth said. "Jasper told me you were worried about me."

"Maybe." Amber said.

"Well, I'm fine." Seth said, joining her on the couch.

"Well, I'm glad you're ok." Amber said. "So, is it over?"

"Yes. Victoria is dead." Jasper said.

"Well, that's good." Amber said.

"Now, I can focus on spending all my time with you." Jasper said, kissing Amber again. Amber smiled and kissed him back.

"I think Dad is coming over in a little bit." Bella said to Amber. Amber nodded. She spent the rest of the day enjoying the company of her family.