Chapter 30

One afternoon, Amber was laying on her bed, reading. She had stayed home from school today because she woke this morning with a fever, so Charlie told her to stay home. This was happening often since she was in the hospital back in December. The first couple times Charlie had stayed home with her, but he couldn't take off work as much as Amber stayed home. With how much she was out of school, she couldn't imagine what the kids at school were saying. Bella was home from school and was doing stuff around the house. Just then, there was a knock on her door. "Come in." Amber said. She looked up to see Jasper. "Jasper!" She said.

"Hey love." Jasper said as he kissed her on the cheek.

"What are you doing here?" Amber asked.

"Bella said you stayed home today." Jasper said. "I wanted to stop by and see how you were doing."

"Oh ok." Amber said.

"I don't know if you eaten anything today." Jasper said, setting a paper bag in front of her. "But I got your favorite from the diner in case you were hungry." Amber looked in the bag and saw two chocolate chip muffins and an orange soda.

"Thank you." She said. Jasper sat on the edge of Amber's bed.

"How are doing?" He asked.

"I'm doing good." Amber lied. She didn't want him to worry about her.

"Please don't lie to me." Jasper said. Amber looked down, guilty that she had lied to him. "I wish you wouldn't hide your feelings." Jasper said. "You don't have to keep everything inside." Amber was quiet. "Talk to me." Jasper said. "Please."

"I've always dealt with my illness. I know it's something I can't control." Amber said. She let a couple tears fall and started to cry. "But I'm getting sicker and getting worse. I'm scared, Jasper. I don't want to die." When Amber looked at Jasper, she saw him cringing. "I'm sorry." She said.

"Don't apologize." Jasper said.

"But I just unloaded everything I've been keeping in on and it affected you." Amber said.

"I'm fine." Jasper said. "It's you I'm worried about." Amber nodded. "Amber, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this." Jasper said as he hugged her. "I'm sure it can't be easy." Jasper held Amber. They stayed like that for a while.

"I wish I wasn't sick." Amber said. "I hate being tired all the time and not wanting to do anything."

"I know. This can't be easy for you." Jasper said.

"I get that we aren't a normal couple because you're a vampire, but it's even more different with me being sick." Amber said. "I want to be able to do stuff that normal couples do."

"We can do whatever you want to do." Jasper said.

"I don't know." Amber said. "Maybe a date."

"Well then, I'll take you on a date." Jasper said.

"Really?" Amber asked.

"If it's what's you want." Jasper said. "We can go Saturday evening."

"Ok." Amber said, smiling.

"I'm going to go." Jasper said, after a little bit. "I'll be back later tonight."

"Ok." Amber said. Jasper kisses Amber before standing up from the bed and walking out of the room. She heard him say goodbye to Bella and go out of the house.

"Hey." Bella said, standing in the doorway of their room. "You ok?" Amber shook her head. Bella went over to Amber and hugged her. "I'm sorry you've had to deal with this." Bella said. "You'll get through it." Amber nodded. "Come on downstairs." Bella said. "Dinner's almost ready and Dad will be home soon." Amber followed Bella downstairs. She helped Bella set the table.

"Do you mind if I have what Jasper got me at the diner for dinner?" She asked.

"Sure." Bella said.

"Hey Bella?" Amber said. "Can I ask you for a favor?"

"Of course." Bella said.

"If I ever get sick again, like I did in December, can you not let Jasper in the room." Amber asked. "I don't want him to see me like that."

"Amber." Bella said.

"Just promise me." Amber said. "Please."

"Ok. I'll make sure he doesn't see you sick like that." Bella said.

"Thanks Bells." Amber said. Just as Bella finished with dinner, Charlie walked into the house.

"Hey girls." He said.

"Hey Dad." Amber and Bella said.

"How are you feeling, Amber?" Charlie asked.

"A little better." Amber replied. "I slept for the most of day." Charlie nodded.

"Dinner's ready." Bella said. They all sat at the table and started to eat.

Jasper drove home from the Swan house. "Is Carlisle home yet?" He asked as he walked into the house.

"Yeah." Esme said. "He's in his office."

"Are you ok, Jasper?" Alice asked.

"Yeah." Jasper said as he headed upstairs.

"Carlisle, can I talk to you?" He asked as he walked in his office. "Privately."

"Yeah." Carlisle said. "Let's go for a hunt." The two headed out of the house and went into the woods.

"Amber wasn't in school today. Bella said she stayed home today because she wasn't feeling well." Jasper said. "I stopped by, after school, to see her."

"How is she?" Carlisle asked.

"She's ok." Jasper said. "She's been keeping everything in. I finally got her to open up to me." Carlisle was quiet. "Are you sure there isn't anything you can do to help her?" Jasper said.

"Medically there's nothing I can do." Carlisle said. Jasper sighed. "I'm sorry, Jasper." Carlisle said. "If there was something I could do, you know I would."

"There is something you can do." Jasper said. "You can turn her."

"Jasper." Carlisle said.

"You just said, medically there's nothing you can do." Jasper said. "But, you can turn her." Carlisle looked at Jasper. "I know in the past I didn't want her to be like us, but she's dying and I can't lose her." Jasper said. "She's scared and I hate seeing her so upset." Carlisle didn't say anything. "Please Carlisle." Jasper said.

"I'm not going to turn her unless she asks me to." Carlisle said. Jasper nodded. They fed on a few mountain lions before heading back to the house.

Alice was waiting for them when they got to the house. "Are you ok?" She asked Jasper.

"Yeah." Jasper said. "Amber's just going through a lot right now."
"Is she ok?" Alice asked.

"She's been keeping all of her emotions in and she let them out today." Jasper said.

"And her unloading everything she's been feeling affected you." Alice said. Jasper nodded.

"But I'm glad she did." He said.

"She'll be ok." Alice said. Jasper nodded again.