f-i-v-e

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

nh

The soft knocking of Zayn's mum on the bedroom door pulls Zayn from his sleep the following morning. Zayn lets out a tired 'come in' and she opens the door, her eyes falling on the two.

She gestures to Zayn to follow her so they can talk without waking Niall, so Zayn peels himself out from under his boyfriend and replacing the empty space with the stuffed bear Niall keeps at their house.

His family never liked that he slept with a stuffed bear, and his brother would constantly steal it to mess with him, so he started leaving it at Zayn's to keep it safe. Not having it makes sleeping at the mansion less desirable than it was already, but at least he's free to be himself when at Zayn's.

"Hey, we heard a bit of what happened last night. Nothing more than a bunch of crying and saying he doesn't want to lose you. Care to fill in the details?" His mother, Tricia, asks. She's so kind and understanding. She never imposes on their relationship, and has become more of a mother to Niall over these past three and a half years than Maura has been the last eighteen.

"His parents arranged his marriage to another boy in their circle because they don't approve of me," Zayn answers, Tricia's breath leaving her body.

How a mother can expect to control and manipulate their own child like that is beyond her.

"Is there anything we can do? Does he need a place to stay for a few days?" She asks, one hand resting on her chest, her hand wrapped around her necklace, and another across her stomach as she talks with her son outside his closed bedroom door.

"I think he should stay for a few days. From what I got out of him last night, it's really bad. He doesn't even really know the boy and they're getting married on June 3rd, I think. He kept repeating it over and over when he was crying right before he fell asleep. I've never seen him like this, mum," Tricia sends him a soft, sad smile, resting one hand on his shoulder.

"He's welcome to stay as long as he needs. Your father and I are here for him, and the girls are, too. Anything he needs, we can help with. And if it comes down to it, we'll help get him out of this marriage," Zayn has never felt more grateful for his mother than he is right now.

As a Muslim family, he wasn't expecting them to accept the fact that he was dating a boy, but they have always gone above and beyond in their support for his relationship. It also helps that they completely adore Niall, who is everything they've ever wanted for their son.

"We may have to take you up on that, but let me talk to him a little more - find out everything. He was hysterical last night, I can't say for sure what all is happening just yet. We'll be down soon, just give me some time, okay?" She nods, kissing her son on the forehead.

"I love you, my precious boy."

"I love you too, mum," He kisses her cheek and turns to go back in his room, finding Niall sleeping soundly with his stuffed bear pulled snugly into his chest. It hurts to know Niall isn't accepted in the mansion for who he is - from things as big and important like what he wants to do with his life to something as small as sleeping with a stuffed teddy bear.

It hurts him to know that the boy he loves doesn't get any love out of the family he was born into.

He pulls the boy into his arms, holding him against his chest and feeling his deep breaths. He always seems so much smaller when he's sleeping.