e-i-g-h-t

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

nh

Niall ended up going back to the mansion the following Monday after school. Zayn was a little reluctant to let him go, but he knew that Niall needed to go back home and so he was initially the one that persuaded him to.

Now, as it's four days later on Friday evening, he's regretting it. They were hoping to go out together on Friday to celebrate school getting off for winter break, but Niall's parents just had to decide that Friday night is the night they're celebrating the engagement.

He was surprisingly upset when Niall told him he could no longer spend the evening with him, and the two parted on quite unpleasant terms when Zayn dropped him off after school.

Zayn may or may not have let his anger get the better of him, causing him to snap at Niall. Niall is the type to always put on a brave face and act like things don't affect him, but he was vulnerable in that moment. Zayn is his one weakness. He can handle being yelled at by any person in the entire world, just not Zayn. He left in tears with the sound of Zayn's motorbike heading in the opposite direction.

Zayn had been a bit moody all week, but Niall just shrugged it off, blaming their exams they were to take before break begins. He should have seen that it was more than exams, what with how friendly he's gotten with his supposed fiancé and who would end up being two of the groomsmen if the wedding were to actually happen.

The outing tonight is not the official, public declaration of the youngest Horan son's marriage to an equally young, up and coming bachelor, no. Tonight is more of a private celebration between the families for making this happen. The Payne's, the Tomlinson's, the Styles', and the Horan's will all be in attendance.

The only good part about this celebration is Niall has become quite friendly with the boys, and even Harry. He appreciates the fact that he's not the only one in this supposed union that doesn't want it, and so he's looking at it in an 'Us versus Them' type of way.

When he gets home from school on Friday, Niall is a little surprised to see Carmen and Alex waiting for him at the base of the staircase. He was really looking forward to being alone in preparation for this dinner because he's trying really hard not to cry.

"Niall, Carmen and Alex will prepare you for tonight. Go upstairs and bathe," His mother orders, and Niall doesn't really understand why he can't dress himself for tonight. It's not a gala, nor is it a professional gathering - just a celebration of a marriage that neither groom wants to be apart of.

As soon as Niall is washed and dressed and polished, he stands in the entryway. Like always, he is the first one to be ready.

His mother and father step into the room at the same time, both dressed formally, but not gala-formal. His brother comes in third, as per usual, and has a smug look on his face when addressing Niall once their parents have exited the room to go to the car.

"Congratulations on finally doing something right," He quickly cocks his eyebrows before he's returning his face back to normal and following their parents out. Niall takes a moment, his eyes narrowed at nothing as he takes a deep breath to release some of the tension he's holding in his body.

Once he feels less likely to rip his brother's head off in a fit of emotions, he walks outside as the maid, Helena, closes the door behind them. He feels for her, honestly. His mother can be extremely picky. Niall was once forced to watch Gilmore Girls with Zayn and his sisters, and the only thing he can equate Maura Horan to is Emily Gilmore on steroids.