t-e-n

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

zm

The rumble of the engine fills the air as Zayn pulls up to the school, his eyes already peeled and his head on a swivel as he looks for Niall.

It's their first day back from Christmas Break, which lasted two weeks. Niall spent easily half of the two week break at the Malik's house, simply avoiding being home alone. His parents and brother went on a week and a half long trip right after Christmas, and they're due back this afternoon. Niall has not seen them since Christmas day, and Zayn, despite the fact that he knows all that goes on in Niall's house, still worries for him.

Sometimes he worries Niall isn't as okay with everything as he pretends to be, but Zayn knows and trusts that Niall will come to him and talk with him if things get worse or too hard for him to handle on his own.

But for now, it's back to school.

He's really just ready to finish his final term and be done with school so he can move onto bigger and better things - including moving out and maybe getting a place with Niall where he can always feel at home and welcome and away from the people trying to control his life.

Niall had to spend a few days with the curly one and the two friends on outings that had been organized by the parents, but he always went straight back to Zayn and it was as if nothing was different, except Zayn knows something is, because Niall sometimes seems excited to hang out with them. His guard is lowering, and Zayn is just wary of what may come next.

Walking into the building, he goes straight for Niall's locker to find his boyfriend pulling books out. He walks up behind him and wraps his arms around Niall's waist, taking him by surprise. Niall even lets out a little yelp at the sudden touch.

"Hi sunshine," Zayn grins, kissing the side of Niall's neck as he talks, Niall moving his head to the side to give him more room.

"Hi," Niall smiles, his eyes fluttering closed as Zayn kisses his neck again, his bottom lip pulled in between his teeth.

"How were you last night? Missed you," Niall finally pulls away enough to turn around in Zayn's arms, closing his locker behind him.

"Missed you too, pet. But I was okay. Made sure the house is all ready for their return today. Wished I could have stayed with you, though," Zayn nods, one of his hands coming up and his fingers brushing a tuft of Niall's hair off his forehead and out of his eyes so he can get a good look at them.

"You didn't sleep too well, did you?" He asks, though he knows the answer. The small bags under Niall's eyes and the light red around his pupils show he's a little sleep deprived.

"Not as well as I do with you," Zayn nods, pressing a kiss to Niall's forehead.

"I'm sorry, love," Niall shrugs, as if to say there isn't really anything that can be done about it. Zayn grabs Niall's bag and throws it over his shoulder, holding onto both of their bags at the same time.

"I can carry that, ya know," He points out as Zayn laces their fingers together, pulling Niall away from the lockers.

"I know," He sends Niall a cheeky smile, Niall just rolling his eyes playfully and following along toward his first class of the day.