t-w-e-n-t-y--n-i-n-e

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

nh

As exams are rounding the corner, drawing nearer and nearer, Niall finds himself locked up in his bedroom more often than not. He's seen very little of Zayn outside of school, thanks to the fact that his parents have arranged for their driver to chauffeur him to and from each day.

It also isn't helped by the fact that he snuck out one night and "walked to school" the next day. He received yet another scolding for pulling that stunt, but Niall was counting down the minutes until his father finally shut his mouth and left him alone. His mother has been desperate to connect with her youngest son during his time at home, though her attempts have been futile thanks to Niall's lack of interest of anything resembling desire to have that relationship with his mother.

He has Tricia, he doesn't need anyone else.

"Sweets? I had Ainsley make up some quiche if you would like some?" She asks, peering her head in through the door. Niall, who is situated at his desk poring over his study materials and revision sheets, looks up as she enters.

He promptly looks back down, pen still poised in his hand as he pushes his glasses back up the bridge of his nose.

"No thanks," He mutters, going right back to his work. She sighs and enters his room fully, walking through and sitting on his bed, the tray of quiche set beside where she sits.

"Honey I'm worried about you, you've done nothing but homework the past week and a half. You haven't even asked to see your fiancé and you're getting married in a few days," Niall rolls his eyes, ignoring her as he continues his work. The silence seems to annoy Maura, as she quickly begins to speak again, "You need to stop isolating yourself so much. Your father and I just want what's best for you, and we know how Harry is just that. I wish you would open up some more, talk to me. You can talk to me, I promise I'll listen," Niall lets out a huff of air before sitting up and turning around to face her, the smile on her face proving she's happy Niall is now 'invested' in the conversation.

"I have nothing to say to you," His voice isn't venomous, it isn't harsh or angry, it isn't even annoyed - it's just solemn. Low and true. Something his mother isn't quite well enough equipped to handle.

"But I'm your mother, you must want to talk with me," Niall shrugs, hands resting on his knees as he purses his lips out a bit, thinking of his next words.

"I really don't. I've said all there is to say, you just don't want to accept it," He goes to turn back around but she reaches forward and sets her hand on the arm of his chair, forcing him to stay facing her.

"I am doing, as your mother, what I feel to be best for you. If you do not like what I'm doing, then that is your prerogative, but I get to make these decisions as your parent and guardian. You have to accept that," She says, her voice coming out a little more stern now.

"I don't have to accept jack shit, not when your plan is taking me away from the one and only person I have ever loved. I don't need this with you, I don't need you to suddenly start acting like a mother now, not when you know you've failed to create a home your son feels welcome in. You know how I grew up? You know how I managed to become the man I am today? It's from Zayn, and his mother. That's who I have," Niall snaps, his mother sinking back down into her seat as his fists clench, nails beginning to dig into his skin again.