f-o-u-r-t-e-e-n

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶   ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ 

nh

Niall wanted, more than anything, to spend the night of Zayn's birthday with him. However, thanks to Bobby deciding last minute that Niall was to follow along on this business trip, he was forced to go back home and pack enough to last a week. He's not sure how long they'll be wherever they're going, but he wants to be prepared just in case.

Now, at half five in the morning, he sits on the porch outside the front door with his luggage beside him, breathing in the brisk air tainted with the smell of snow.

He can smell it coming. It has not snowed in over a month, and he can't wait for the ground to be covered in the beautiful white powder that dampens the entire world and brings colour to life.

A car rumbles in the distance before a pair of headlights are turning down the street, making its way to Niall's house.

Niall expects it to be the car that will bring him, along with Bobby and Greg, to the private jet waiting for them. However, his surprise is only amplified when Harry steps out onto the sidewalk. The driver doesn't move, and Harry looks a little confused before his eyes land on Niall, leaving him with even more questions.

"What are you doing here?" Niall's voice sounds too loud for the quiet, sleeping world, but he doesn't particularly care.

"All I know is my father got a call from I'm guessing your father and told him to have me pack a bag and be ready to go bright and early. Suddenly I'm awake at half four and being put into a town car and brought here. I don't know much else," Harry responds, Niall dropping his face into his hands where he's sitting on the steps.

"Business trip, father decided I should tag along. Apparently, you're coming too, now," Niall grumbles, dropping his hands and tucking them back into the pockets on the jumper he stole from Zayn.

"Why am I coming?" Harry asks, standing in front of Niall, one hand in his pocket as the other rests on the handle of his suitcase.

"Because we're 'engaged'. I guess he wants us to bond or some shit. Maybe get an idea of what the hell we're going to be expected to do when we're 'married'," Niall explains, Harry's mouth forming a small 'o'.

He doesn't respond as the front door opens, Bobby and Greg stepping out with their luggage and smiles on their faces as the driver of the idling car gets out and opens the boot, putting the rest of the suitcases in there along with Harry's.

"Ready boys?" Bobby asks in a much more cheerful manner than Niall would like.

Harry grabs Niall's arm and holds it down at his side when he sees that Niall is about to flick off his father. He sends Niall a look and a shake of his head as he receives a nasty glare in return.

Niall shrugs Harry's hand off his arm before climbing into the car, ignoring everyone else.

He already misses Zayn.

***

"Alright boys, here are your room keys," Bobby hands Niall and Harry key cards as they stand in the centre of the hotel hallway, "Greg, you're with me. We don't have any meetings until this evening, so rest and acclimate and prepare," Niall narrows his eyes at his father.

"Wait I'm sharing a room with him?" Niall asks, his voice somewhere between hateful and disdainful.

"Get used to it, little brother. You'll be married in less than five months, may as well start now," Greg answers, a haughty look to his face. Niall doesn't say anything, he just goes into the room he has to share with Harry, who follows.