Introduction to Fast Food

"We need a different place." Susan spoke.
Edmund looked to her, pointedly.
"You think?"

Peter ignored him and pressed on, "But for that, we need money, and that we need jobs. So... we're going out tomorrow. We could ask around then?"

"If libraries are still around, I can take one there." Sanya shrugged. "Stocking up books or whatever."

"Me too." Edmund added. "Or I could go as one of those government interns... if it's still a thing."

"I can be a waitress. Looks get more tips." Susan said bitterly.

"Or something more physical for me." The strongest of the lot, Peter spoke up.

"We should just take whatever is offered to us. We can't afford to be picky... literally." Edmund spoke.

Sanya looked down. "We would all be better dead." She spoke, voicing what she had been thinking the whole day.

"But we aren't, so no point thinking of that." Peter instinctively looked at the room Lucy had disappeared in, hoping she was asleep.

"I miss the 40s." Susan spoke, eyes misty. "Poor Lilith, she'd just been adjusting."

"Must be crying her heart out in bed right now." Edmund said, unable to muster up his usual bite. "Well, I'm off to- procrastinate sleep."

"I'll sit with Lucy for a bit. Su, you'll be okay?" Peter asked protectively.

"Hm?" Susan looked up at Peter's question and then at Sanya. "I'll be fine."

After the boys had left, Susan asked Sanya quietly, "You don't mind me staying up here with you, right?"

Sanya laid her head on her shoulder and Susan smiled.

Lilith trudged back down the road the next day.
The same hoodie and jeans on, her hair pulled up in a wet, messy bun after taking advantage of Ben's shower.
Not only did she feel dreadful inside, but had a truly pounding hangover- and no sleep was not helping.
But a promise was a promise, and the others needed food and clothing.
She stopped at the small shop on the way, picking up some eggs, bacon and bread with the money which Ben had given her for the bus home.
She let herself in- what was it with Pevensies being unable to lock doors?
The stove was tiny, and the pans needed a good scrub, but it wasn't long until the bacon and eggs were sizzling, the bread cut as she relished in the small moment of familiarity, waiting for the other's to wake.
Having lost her patience after half an hour, Lilith wandered into the living room where she saw Sanya and Susan snuggled up together, deep in sleep with the Philosopher's Stone laid on the table in front of them.
She eyed them with some surprise before crossing over to a bedroom and seeing a bleary looking Lucy waking up, Peter passed out next to her in a chair.

"I'll be out in a bit, after waking Peter up." Lucy gave her a small smile and Lilith nodded and went over to the other bedroom where Edmund had found some waste paper and a pencil and was scribbling furiously on it.

"Didn't get any ink?" Lilith teased and he glowered at her, his pale skin almost glowing in the dark.

He got up, trying to ignore the rumble of his stomach.
"I cooked." She said and the look on his face could almost be described as happy- almost being the key word.

"You could wake the two on the sofa up?" She told him as he hovered around the kitchen, unable to find something to occupy him.

"Alright." He said and wandered out, walking to the small sofa, where to his astonishment, he saw Sanya and Susan tangled up. He had thought it would be Sanya and Goose.