Snippets

September 2023:

"I can't believe he's going to nursery school already!"

"I can't believe we can afford nursery school, to be honest." Edmund replied to his girlfriend, who was anxiously bouncing their three year old on her lap.

Sanya shot him a look before joining her son in looking out the cab window, "At least it's a good neighbourhood- but he's not even 4 yet-"

"He will be in just a month, Moonshine, and it's only a year of nursery instead of two, like usual." The once-King could empathise with her feelings on the matter, but not to the level she felt. "And Lilith'll look after him."

"I know I'm overstressing as usual- oh, we get off at this corner."

Her boyfriend looked out and then tapped the driver on his shoulder, "We'll get off here, thanks. How much?"

"Everyone's looking at us." The young mother said as she and Edmund, their son between them, walked up to the path leading to the Nursery school.

"It's because I'm so exceedingly attractive."

She couldn't help cracking a smile- oh, she loved him for that. "Maybe. Or maybe I'm the youngest person here."

"I think the kids are the youngest people here." Edmund raised his eyebrow at her, but wished he could have held her hand. "You're not that young."

"I'm 20. Just out of adolescence with an almost four year old." She deadpanned, before picking Alec up, with mild difficulty as he had grown a lot- they had reached the front door. "Be a good boy, Alec."

Tears immediately welled up in his dark eyes, apparently just realising his parents had an ulterior motive in taking him out of the flat. "But- Amma- Dada-"

"Perhaps we should just wait till next year and send him straight to kindergarten." Edmund said, quite unable to bear to see his son's crying face. "It won't be much of a loss, education wise-"

Before Sanya could hit him, or berate him, or agree and leave, a grinning redhead had descended upon then.

"Ed, Sanya! You're just on time."

"Hi, Lilith."

"Auntie Lil!"

"Hi, baby." Lilith came as close to cooing as she ever did. "Why the long faces, mates?"

"Separation issues." Sanya answered, reluctantly setting Alec down- her arms ached- as parents, walking by them, whispered in hushed tones.

"Don't worry, I'll bring him back safe and sound." The older girl promised, holding her hand out to the toddler, who promptly attached himself to Edmund's leg. "Come on, Alec, I have lots of things to show you."

"He likes blue." His father said, his eyes mirroring his son's teary expression.

"And don't force him into social interaction-" The True added, bending down to get Alec away from his dad's jeans.

"Jesus Christ, I know, I'm his godmother!" The redhead cut Sanya off, as the child was finally shifted away from the Just. "Would you two just get to work already? You'll see him in a few hours! Hell, we're having a whole family dinner tonight, everyone will!"

"'Ven Auntie Su?" Alec asked- that particular aunt of his was rarely seen, on account of her busy days and the fact that she lived with Ben now, instead of at their own flat.

"Even Auntie Su. We'll all play with Gryffin and Goose too." Lilith promised, pleased as he finally took her hand. "I'll even take you for McDonald's and get you a Happy Meal on the way back."