The Sleepless Nights Begin

"I have to go." Lilith declared, her eyes wide as she slammed her hands on the Receptionist's desk.

"What? Why? Is everything okay?" Kindly Mrs. Silvers asked, her concern raising her to her feet.

The Unwavering nodded erratically, "Yes. I hope so- Sanya- baby coming- find me cover?"

The elderly receptionist's concern melted, a smile on her face as she watched Lilith yank her coat on through her fragmented explanation.

"Oh, yes! Of course! Your friend and her baby!" Gossip spreads fast around a staff room. "Congratulate her for me!"

Yet the redhead was already out the door.

—-

Edmund's phone lit up under his desk.

He glanced around, checking the coast was clear before squinting at the text on the screen.

Within a second, he was on his feet, his bag thrown over his shoulder as he pulled Peter to his feet. "She's already at hospital. Lucy's with her. Baby. Now."

"Shit." Was his brother's reply, signing off his computer with click, waving to his boss that he'd explain later and following his brother.

Neither had the patience for the lift as they took the stairs two at a time.

——————

Susan didn't even look at her boss as she glanced to her phone. Ripping her apron off and throwing it over the counter, she half dropped her tray on a table and was out the door in a moment.

They could fire her, for all she cared.

They were arseholes anyway.

- - -

Lucy thought if Sanya's skin tone was to be compared with anything right then, it would be with the White Witch. And having tact, she wisely kept her mouth shut and obliged whatever needs the very soon-to-be mother had.

Granted, Sanya wasn't speaking at all. Hell, if it wasn't for the fact that she kept tensing and subtly wincing every 6 minutes, you wouldn't even know she was in labour. She hadn't even opened her mouth to scream once, which both impressed and frightened Dr. Clarke at the same time.

"Oh, baby." Susan said soothingly as she entered, immediately moving the sweaty hair away from her forehead. "How far dilated are you?"

Sanya knew she would probably scream in pain if she opened her mouth so she didn't answer.

It was only another few minutes later, when Edmund and Peter, knocking every other thing down in their way, entered that she finally lost control and gave a soft moan, "Edmund..."

"I'm so sorry, Moonshine..." HE had put her like this, he was the one because of who she was going through so much pain- it was all his fault!

Sanya shook her head, grasping his hand painfully tight, surely breaking or at least splintering a few bones.

"It's time. You have to push now." Dr. Clarke honestly felt terrible, but other than the epidural there was nothing she could do to ease the pain of childbirth. "Only the hus- well, father allowed in now."

Lilith, Susan, Peter and Lucy took one last look at Edmund's miserable face and Sanya's contorted, sweaty one as they left, to sit outside and wait.

The four sat in silence, each suppressing their urge to pace.

The silence was a long one- 5 hours, to be exact.

Susan had taken a walk to the vending machine, getting them each a drink, yet the four bottles were sat untouched as the door opened.