𝟬𝟬𝟳 next time, burn the ashes

CHAPTER SEVEN: NEXT TIME, BURN THE ASHES

      Ayato and Izumi were lying on a sofa in the middle of the living room

      Ayato and Izumi were lying on a sofa in the middle of the living room. Ayato had his arms wrapped around her waist while she rested her head on his chest and stroked his hair. They had spent so much time in that same position that, if they were human, their limbs would be aching by now. Fortunately, they didn't have to deal with such mundane problems.

      Ayato's eyes were closed as Izumi's gaze was lost through the window. Their minds at peace, embracing the calm provided by each other's company. However, it was like the calm before the storm, which was about to break.

      Izumi suddenly stood up from her place, at the same time that Ayato opened his eyes. They were transported to Yui's room, but there was no trace of the human girl. The pink-haired vampire breathed in deeply through her nose, trying to locate her scent. Meanwhile, the redhead paused to think, taking the cross that lay on the bed of the missing girl.

      Ayato looked at the vampiress for a moment before taking her by the hand and starting to walk in a certain direction. The girl was silent as she walked beside him, keeping her grip and watching carefully where he was leading her. Her eyes expanded when she saw Richter talking to Yui but, though it was her, at the same time it didn't look like her.

      The blonde was wearing a long dress of a dark purple color. The garment hugged her body in the right places, and she even looked taller. Izumi recognized her dress and frowned. She breathed in through her nose again, realizing that something was out of place.

      "Hey, what's the meaning of this," Ayato asked immediately and they both turned to the boy. Yui's lips stretched into a smile, taking a few seconds to notice the two vampires' grip before looking the boy in the eyes.

      "Ayato, Izumi; it's been a long time. No doubt I wasn't wrong to bring you two together," a mocking venom slipped through her tongue. The pink-haired girl couldn't stop the gasp that escaped from between her lips. Ayato's frown deepened as he glared angrily at the woman he now recognized as his own mother. Cordelia.

      "But what have you done?"

      "I see you're not here to tell me you're happy to see me again. If you want to know why I'm here; Richter, could you please explain?" the woman spoke again, her eyes glistening with mischief. "I need some rest, I'm still not used to this body. She shouldn't even be conscious, but she's still trying to push me out. It's exhausting. I guess this body isn't completely mine yet."

      "And it never will be," Izumi denied just as Cordelia passed her.

      The woman stopped, placing a hand on Izumi's shoulder and giving her a sickly smile. The vampiress felt her arm freeze under her touch, and Ayato squeezed her hand to give her courage.

      "Just watch me."

      "What have you done to her?" Ayato asked once Cordelia had left the room. The sound of the door became the only proof that her presence there had been real. "Tell me, Richter."

      Richter explained how the night the triplets murdered their mother, he managed to get to Cordelia's body before Kanato burned it. The woman explained to him that he was to remove her heart and then place it inside another person, thus, she would be able to revive. Izumi's stomach churned at the thought of the human girl being the bearer of the Demon Lord's daughter's heart.

      "Cordelia's heart is inside her?"

      "That girl is just a vessel. She still exists, but not for long. When the Awakening is over, her soul will be destroyed for all eternity. And in her place, Cordelia will remain," Richter explained and Ayato gasped, squeezing Izumi's hand as she hissed. "Yes, and as you know, the Awakening is near. It's a beautiful full moon night."

──────────────

      Izumi appeared in front of Ayato and Yui, being accompanied by Laito and Kanato. She couldn't help but take a step back and cling to Laito's hand as she watched the redhead take hold of Yui's body with desperation. A longing he had never shown for her before.

      Something stirred inside her, and the emptiness in her stomach felt heavier than ever. Immediately, the red in her eyes turned deadly. Almost as if they were dyed by blood.

      "Your blood is too sweet not to. You belong to me; your blood, your heart, your body, your soul, everything you have. Devote your blood and your life to me alone," Ayato requested. He brought his lips close to hers, and Izumi clenched her jaw.

      "Mmh, now I understand. At last, this all makes sense," Laito interrupted and Ayato pulled away from Yui. He looked at his brother with indifference, but it dissipated as soon as he noticed Izumi's presence.

      The pink-haired girl looked at him with a coldness he had never had to face before. He felt lost when he did not find that characteristic glow that she reserved only for him. On the contrary, she looked at him with the a coldness that was not even dedicated to strangers nor enemies. Even the look she gave to Cordelia was better, because at least it showed her hatred for her. Now, her eyes did not reflect any feelings.

      And Ayato knew it was his fault, because he had hurt her by having tried to kiss Yui in front of her.

      But the guilt that was beginning to seize his body quickly left him. His impulsiveness took control of his actions as he watched her hand cling to Laito's for support, and of course, his brother gave him a smug smile.

      He had done it. He had screwed up, and his brother took the opportunity to welcome her with open arms.