Suspicious

It had been a quiet shift, giving Dream enough time to see Nightmare multiple times. When Dream was on his break, well no, the consultant on the ward let him have a 'break' since the children's wards were fairly quiet. But Dream was on his 'break', and received a text from Nightmare saying he was being discharged. Upon arriving at the ward, Dr Ozimek was trying to speak to Nightmare. However, he didn't seem to be paying attention. Dream noticed his brother's arm was now in a cast.

"Hey Dream, how do I get out of here? I honestly have no idea which way the exit is in this place." Nightmare said, attempting to use his broken arm to get his phone from the bed and failing, the phone falling onto the floor with a slap.

Dream picked up the phone and gave it to Nightmare with an amused look. "You can't use this arm for a while. Anyway, I've got to meet a friend at the hospital entrance, he left his wallet at my place last night. I can take you down there, but how are you going to get home?"

"Uh, I dunno. I'll uh..." Nightmare paused, thinking.

"Taxi? Bus?" Dream suggested, already knowing the answer.

"No." Nightmare hated public transport. It was apparently something about there being too many people on a bus, and 'taxi rides were awkward'. Dream didn't see the problem with it though, he caught the bus to and from work every day, since he was still saving up for a car.

"Then what are you gonna do?" Dream asked.

"Uh... I'll teleport."

"Not with that arm, you won't."

"Look, I'll figure something out." Nightmare assured.

"Uh... I need to give you a thing." Dr Ozimek's voice sounded from behind Nightmare. She passed Nightmare a piece of paper.

Nightmare raised his 'eyebrows'. "Cool, drugs."

"What?" Dream said.

"It's a prescription. For pain meds." Nightmare replied.

"Oh."

**

"Thanks Dream..." Cross muttered, taking his wallet from Dream.

"Oh, you also left this." Dream pulled a small lighter out from his pocket, handing it to Cross.

Nightmare gave Cross a surprised look. "You smoke?"

"Uh... Sort of. I don't smoke cigarettes, but yeah, I smoke." Cross said almost nervously to Nightmare, who narrowed his eyes.

"So you smoke weed or...?"

"Yeah."

Nightmare spun around. "If he ever makes you smoke anything, I'm going to kill him." He said to Dream.

"He won't, Nightmare."

"I won't." Cross confirmed.

Nightmare nodded. A silence followed and Cross shifted uncomfortably. "...What happened to your arm anyway?" He asked.

"Long story."

Suddenly something beeped. Dream pulled out his pager. "The consultant wants all the nurses back to the ward now. Look, Cross, can you just make sure Nightmare gets home? I don't trust him-"

"Gee, thanks, Dream," Nightmare huffed, looing from Dream to Cross, "I don't need him to follow me around. Trust me, I'm going straight home, I want to sleep."

"It would make me feel a lot better if you just went with Cross. I gotta go, I'll come visit you later." And with that, Dream walked back into the hospital.