Chapter 22

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Tiana's P.O.V

Following the crowd, I get off the plane and make my way out of the airport. Turning to my phone, I purchased an Uber ride (#notsponsored) to Hotel Roma Tor Vergata. Before I got on the plane, I researched cheap hotels to stretch my budget as much as I possibly can.

With much pain and contemplation, I found a buyer online and sold my bike for a nice chunk of money. Although I worked at the diner all year, I didn't have enough money to explore Europe. It broke my heart to sell her, feeling like a terrible mom. I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear or 200.

Arriving at the hotel, I clear my mind and prepare to see monuments I've dreamed about since I was a child. No one could wipe away the smile on my face no matter how hard they tried. I'm finally here after manifesting this dream for years.

After I got my room key, I rushed to the room to drop off any excess luggage. My room is small but beautiful with photos of places in Italy. Too bad I'll barely enjoy it.

Walking out into the streets, everything around me is new and exciting. The buildings are short and conform with one another. In awe of my environment, I nearly got run over by locals judging my obvious tourist status. I'm a tourist and I'm proud!

Using my phone to guide me, I rented a bike and rode it to the Colosseum where I returned it to a different bike rack. The building overwhelms and fascinates me. I examine it, breath the air around it, stand in wonderment at this historical monument.

Based on the research I've done, I know some of what happened here thousands of years ago. Closing my eyes, I can picture the gladiators preparing to race, men in fencing gear, people gathered to enjoy entertainment while simultaneously supporting violence being seen as a sacrifice for amusement.

After the year I've experiences, I feel like a weak man preparing to battle the champion of the area. My armor unprotected, weapon dull and useless, my body feeble and stick-like. It was an unfair fight every day and I always lost. Never volunteering to fight, I was chosen, forced into this role. A prop in violent entertainment, suffering for others enjoyment, In this place of laughter and bloodshed, I feel connected to history for the first time.

The day moves on, but I stay here and think about the one person I wish I could forget: Ryder. We were supposed to explore Europe, visit important monuments, be dumb tourists together. I cared about it more than he ever did, but he still promised to do it with me. I miss the Ryder who would have done anything for me, take a bullet to the heart. Now he saves me from myself only to beat me the next day.

When we were younger, everything was simpler. We were best friends and that was that. Ryder was on my side and now I expect him to stab me in the back if I let him get close enough. What changed?

I stand, head towards and street, and let it guide me through Rome. The shops are fun to walk through, comparing all of the similarities and differences between here and Chicago. The day was loud with conversations and street noises. The people were lively and oblivious to my existence. Feels like home I joked to myself.

Wandering around, I find myself inside an electronic store looking at all of the new technology. One product catches my eye and draws me in with a lasso of intrigue. I pick up the camera and it feels right in my hands. Pointing it outside, I snap a picture heating the click and seeing my image on the screen.

"Hey, that's not half bad!" I'd buy a photo from you," a salesman said, looking over my shoulder. "That camera is actually on sale for 20% off. I promise you won't find a deal like that anywhere else and today is the last day to get in on this. It's a steal! I'm practically giving this camera away with that price," the man pitches, doing everything he can to gain some commission off me.

I contemplate the purchase knowing I have enough walking around money to buy this without intense regret. "Sure, ring me up." I'm sure I made this guys day based on the look of surprise on his face. I'll let him think he fooled me, that should boost his ego a little.

Holding my new toy, I made my way out of the shop ready to capture the beauty surrounding me in a photo memory. With a new mission in mind, my perspective changes and I see everything differently. Instead of moving around and focusing on the history, I decided to sit on a nearby bench and people watch.

There are couples, families, children running around, tourists, merchants, street performers and more. The lens of my new camera acts as my eyes and I steal moments from strangers that believe no one is watching them. It's interesting to view these people knowing if I talked to them I wouldn't be given this privilege of truth. If only I could see what Ryder is like when no one is looking.

Ryder's P.O.V

I hear a ding and see the seat belt light turn off. Looking out the window, I wonder if I've made a big mistake. Just then I hear a voice over the intercom announce, "Welcome to Rome, Italy".

A/N:

We're finally in Rome! I sincerely apologize for any discrepancies. I did do some research, but I have literally never left the country so I have zero culture. I hope you enjoyed reading this and have a touristy Tuesday!

Is Ryder going to find Tiana?

Where will she go next?

Why is Ryder following her like a lost puppy?

Ryder: I am not! I'm just finding her for her family

Rachel: You didn't tell them that though

Ryder: At least I've been out of the country

Rachel: And now you're deflecting

Ryder: Just speaking the truth. I'm more cultured than you and I'm not even real

Rachel: At least I can live in reality. You will always be just another character in a story.

Ryder: Yeah well...you suck

Rachel: *rolls eyes* so unoriginal

Ryder: Like your plot line

Rachel: -_-

Vote

Comment

Follow