Chapter 30

"Those whom we most love are often the most alien to us." Christopher Paolini

Tiana's P.O.V

The sun invades my space as it heats me up and forces me awake. Ryder finally put his clothes on and decided it was best for me to sleep in the bed and he took the chair in the corner. I didn't complain because I wanted the space he had created for us.

I'm glad we were able to clear the air a little, but there is still a lot unsaid. According to Ruder, my family is supposed to arrive soon. I don't know what to expect from all of this. I know I'm still confused so hopefully things will be cleared up for everyone today.

As I looked around the room, I noticed Ryder wasn't in the room anymore. I slowly walked to the bathroom so I can begin to wake up. There's a small post it in the bottom left corner that says "went out to get breakfast".

My reflection stares back at me and she's different from when I last saw her. Standing in front of this mirror, my body isn't covered by cuts, only fading scars. She looks stronger, happier than the last time. There's a sparkle in her eye that hadn't twinkled like that in years.

I smile and look away from my image. My moment of bliss slips away as my mind begins to function properly. Worries from last night start flooding my thoughts. Quickly, I spin around and stare down at where my biggest problem laid dead less than 1 hour ago. The carpet is bland, unstained, and unmarked by trauma. There is no trace of Ryder's mother or her remains. Ryder must have taken care of the body while I slept. I think It would be best if I stay oblivious and let her rotting body decay into the earth to be reborn through nature, pure and free of evil.

My ears perk up at the sound of the door handle turning, and without thinking, I expect the worst. Quickly, I grab the plunger as my terrifying weapon to kill off any enemy. My back presses up against the cold bathroom wall parallel to the open door. I wait to hear the steps on the carpet get closer before I jump out of my hidden corner, pointing the stick end at my assumed enemy.

I scream out while facing my family, then I was stunned to silence before a huge smile grew on my face. Everyone erupts in conversation and apologies drowned out one another. All of my brothers along with Tate and my parents are here greeting me, hugging and crying (mostly Conlan of course). My mother is the only one standing tall and abstaining from joining in with the family and their chatter. She's smiling, but I can tell something is bothering her.

My mom nods her head to the side, quietly suggesting we move away from the group for a moment to talk. It seems conversation has everyone else preoccupied so I slip away easily.

"What's wrong, Mom?" she smiles, knowing I'm one of the few who can see right through her.

"I'm so sorry you felt this need to run away. You know it was hard for me growing up and I just wanted..." her breathing wavers as tears well up in her eyes. "I just wanted to do better. I'm so sorry my child."

I feel her tears on my shoulder as she brings me in for a tight embrace. My vision goes blurry as my empathetic heart takes control. I pull away from her,my hands on her forearms, my eyes looking into hers. "You have been amazing as a mother and as a survivor. I am so grateful that you're in my life. The advice you gave me before I left helped me so much. I just want you to know I didn't run away from any of you guys."

"My advice drove you out of the house," she states, guilt and torment taking over her expression.

"You're advice set me free, Mom. I like to think I wasn't running away from the bad and the confusing, but instead I ran to a life of adventure and exploration."

I see a small smile creep up on her, but I can tell she still holds some confusion which is confirmed by her next statement.

"If it wasn't your family, what were you running away from?" she wondered out loud.

"Me," Ryder says as he steps through the door with arms full of food.

The room falls silent as it fills with unaddressed tension, drowning in a sea of unsaid thoughts. I'm sure my family is even more confused than I am, but I'm sure these emotions will change into daggers of anger and hate.

"Why don't we all find a seat in the room. I'm sure this is going to take a while to explain and you all will probably have a lot of questions if you don't already have plenty you want to ask now. Please, sit," he calmly suggests, gesturing to the bed and the small chairs. A couple of my brothers chose to sit on the floor as I wasn't expecting to host my whole family here when I booked this room. This whole trip has been full of the unexpected. I just hope no one else is killed in this room.

A/N:

Hello all! I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Recently, I've decided to focus on the quality of my writing more than how often I upload chapters. Please understand that this change in priorities is for your benefit as well as my own. This means I will be able to write more and focus on executing the plot the way I always intended to. Since I am a college student, this method of writing is easier to sustain. Goodbye fellow readers and have a whimsical Wednesday!

How will the family react the everything?

Why is Tate there?

Will Tiana's parents murder Ryder?

Ryder: Ok, no don't do that

Rachel: *sips soda* Why not, it's a fun idea

Ryder: What about our love story!?

Rachel: ...I don't like you like that dude

Ryder: Tiana and I

Rachel: Eh, I don't know. I'm bored of you now *dumps remaining soda on his head*

Vote

Comment

Follow