1) Whistling (Nate x Female Reader- Fluff)

A/N: This is the first oneshot for the Writetober prompts I posted. I hope you like it as I've never written from prompts before, so I don't know how this will turn out.

_

NIGHT

_

There was an eerie chill in the air as the wind blew through the massive expanse of trees. There was little in the way of life here and that made it even worse. It was the kind of place to send shivers down anyone's spine.

The townsfolk had always warned people to stay away because if you went in you weren't likely to come back out. In at least thirty years not a single soul had returned... Not living at least.

Imagine if you will growing up in a remote town, having little contact with the rest of the outside world. The nearest shop was three miles away and the nearest hospital was almost ten. No police force existed here. The only thing this town had was neighbourhood watch, but what use were four old ladies going to be if something attacked the town?

That was the reality for Nathan Smith, a thirty year old musician who had been a resident of the town for his whole life. He had only ever known this place and the people in it. They were like a family to him, yet he always felt that, even though he had a loving community of people to protect him, he wanted to be one of the first to venture out. He wanted to see what was taking people away and not giving them back.

In thirty years Nathan had never been further than the hospital. He wanted to travel, but that meant he had to go into that lifeless forest, which everyone warned him against. That only made him more curious.

He had to do it at some point, and that point was tonight.

After he had said his goodnights to his parents, he went into his room and acted as if he was going to bed. Of course his family bought it. Why would they suspect anything? Nathan had always been a good boy and even if he was a grown man, he still didn't disobey his parents.

Or so they thought.

He waited until it had been an hour or so, so he could make sure that everyone in the house was asleep. He got up and snuck out of his bedroom, grabbing a baseball bat from the cupboard – An old battered one that belonged to his dad. Nathan himself hadn't been into sports as a child, so it had sat there all this time. At least now it would have a use.

Nathan tiptoed down the hall, past his dog Rylo's bed and gave the dog a small pet. Rylo was protective of Nate and he looked up with pleading eyes, not wanting his master to leave him.

Nate smiled and whispered, "I'll only be gone a few hours bud, I promise. If not then..." He stopped, not wanting to think of that possibility. "I love you buddy. Be a good boy while I'm gone, okay? You protect mom and dad for me, hm?" He then gave the dog a kiss on the tip of his nose, leaning his forehead on Rylo's for a moment. "Be back soon, okay..." He mumbled and stood up, walking towards the front door as silently as he could before slipping out quickly.

The cold night air hit him like a punch to the face and he shivered slightly. He silently wished he had been clever enough to wear a jacket, but he accepted it and started to make his way towards the mass of trees at the edge of the horizon.

He looked around, the baseball bat clutched tightly in his pale hands. He was anxious as can be, but he was trying to be brave.

If the forest was lifeless, then surely there wasn't anything there that could harm him, right? He was trying to think of a reasonable explanation for where everyone who had been through it had disappeared to. Perhaps they just got lost and they couldn't find their way home...