3) Necklace (Nate x Female Reader- Fluff)

A/N: This is the third oneshot for Writetober. I hope you all enjoy. :)

It had been four years and Nate had come to love Y/N very much. He wanted to be with her forever, but he had big commitment issues. He didn't know if she would want to take that big leap into marriage just yet. He certainly didn't feel ready for it, and given how his last relationships had gone, he didn't want things to end a few months after he popped the question.

Yet, he still wanted to get something to show Y/N how much he truly loved her. He wanted it to have the sentimental value of a ring without actually proposing to her.

For the last few weeks he had been eyeing up a beautiful necklace in a local jewellers, which he thought was perfect.

The necklace itself was a ruby red heart, wrapped in gold filigree detailing on a gold chain. It was delicate, but it gave the message he wanted it to.

It was going to cost him a lot, and he knew that it would be worth it. He was saving every last penny he could to afford the gorgeous necklace for Y/N. He only hoped that when he could get it, she would like it.

Over the following weeks Nate kept as much money aside as he could, scrimping on everything and only buying himself the bare minimum. He took as much work as he could get, playing music in small bars and clubs nearby, travelling out a little to bigger events and festivals. Anything that offered him some sort of money he did.

It took him roughly three months to save enough to afford the necklace, but he eventually had just enough for it.

He'd done everything in his power to keep Y/N's suspicions low so that she wouldn't question him over where he was and why he was suddenly working so much. It had worked so far, and he was pleased she didn't think much of it.

After a couple more days he arranged for Y/N to be out at the grocery store getting some shopping as he was going to be 'busy' doing some important things for an upcoming project.

Y/N accepted what he said and went to the grocery store as he had planned, so now was his chance.

He grabbed his wallet and jacket before going and getting in his car and driving into town. He pulled up outside of the fancy jeweller's, which he never expected to be able to set foot in, let alone buy anything from.

He stepped out of his car and went inside, the staff looking at him rather snootily. He didn't look like the kind of person to be buying things from here, and the staff certainly didn't hide their disapproval of him.

A male member of staff came up to him and asked, "Is there anything I can help you with today, sir?" He gave Nate a look up and down.

Nate cleared his throat and nodded. "Yeah... I'd like to buy the ruby heart necklace in the window." He said, no hesitation as he took his sunglasses off and folded them up.

The staff member gave him a look that asked if he could really afford such a piece. "For someone special?" He asked.

"Yes, my girlfriend actually..." Nate replied.

"Girlfriend? Well isn't she lucky." The man said in a patronizing tone.

Nate put his hands in his pockets. "She is..." He replied. "Now, can we get on with this?"

The man nodded curtly and went and grabbed the necklace from the window, carefully taking it over to the counter and beginning to wrap it up and place it in a fancy box, which was then put into a small bag, which looked just as expensive as the necklace itself.

He then cleared his throat. "Would sir like to pay with cash or card?"

"Card." Nate muttered out and pulled his wallet out, taking his card from it.