Starting Over

The city had long since disappeared from view. The tall buildings and mass of concrete long gone, now replaced by smaller structures, trees and parks. Small clusters of shops were all dotted about throughout the little town. I wasn't a nervous person by nature, but this was possibly the biggest move of my life. Leaving behind the place I'd lived all my life. London city center. It wasn't like it was home. I'd never really had that with my upbringing, but it was the place I knew. Now, well, I was about to set up from scratch.

It had been so late when I arrived at my new home, that I'd just bout flopped into bed and fallen asleep by the time I got in. I didn't have time to unpack and settle in the next morning, I had to get going. I had a job lined up here already, and now it was time to make an appearance to set things up and meet my new boss.

I steered my Nissan Navara around the bend in the road, spotting the large workshop up ahead. I pulled into a spare space out front, looking up at the place that I would now call work. JC Mechanics and Auto Services. I'd been a mechanic ever since I was old enough to work. There was limited opportunities for someone from my background, so when the job to wash cars at a nearby garage came up, I didn't hesitate to take it. The guy who ran the place slowly started to teach me the ropes, it didn't take long before I was taking exams and I was fully qualified. I loved cars, and this was easily the job for me. I turned off the ignition and jumped from the truck. The faint sound of music came from the building as I maneuvered my way through the sea of cars out front. For such a small town, their auto repairs were certainly going well. I heard the sounds of tools bumping against metal somewhere to my right, and navigated that way.

"Hello?" I called as I stopped in front of a red land rover, it's bonnet was up and there was someone leaning across the front, his head dipped low as he looked at the engine.

Upon hearing my voice, the man looked up, when he caught my eye, he stood up, his face coming into clear view as he grabbed the white towel from his pocket and began to wipe the oil from his hands.

"Hey," He began to make his way around the car, stepping towards me. "How can I help?"

"I'm looking for Mr Carson, I'm meant to be starting work here today." I gave him a polite smile.

He glanced at me, his eyes raked over my body before he spoke.

"Miss Summers?"

I had to fight to keep my eyes from roaming over him, this guy was gorgeous. Tall, rugged and muscular with the whole alpha male vibe practically radiating from him. His tanned skin was smudged with oil, and his short, black hair was sticking up at the front, rebelling against the semi styled look he had attempted. His bright eyes were almost unnaturally blue, and sparkled in contrast to his hair, like two pools, glittering in the sun.

"Athena, please." I smiled, holding out my hand.

He nodded, and gave me a firm shake, his expression remaining hard to read.

It was something that I wasn't bothered by though, I was used to all kinds of rough types from the particular council estate that I grew up on. He released my hand, then tucked the towel back into his pocket.

His dark blue coveralls were tied at his waist revealing a light grey, oil smudged vest top that clung to his well toned frame, and showed off his muscular arms.

"I'm Jett Carson."

His revelation shocked me, he couldn't have been much older than me, early thirties at the most. Yet this was his place. I guess he must have noticed the look I gave and a small smirk played across his mouth.

"You were expecting someone older, fifties maybe, grumpy of course. A guy who would probably be a bit unhappy that you're a woman, and bound to give you at least one snippy comment about it within the first five minutes, right?"