Bait

I could hear sounds nearby. It sounded like shuffling of feet and conversation, but I couldn't pinpoint anything specific. I felt woozy, even though my eyes weren't open yet. It took me a moment to remember what happened, being chased, the car, the crash... Jett. I forced my eyes open as I remembered the sight of his body. Even through the blur as my sore eyes opened, I could clearly see that I wasn't still in the car... and I definitely wasn't in a hospital. It was a dark and derelict looking building. Dull and graffitied sand coloured walls surrounded me, the only windows were positioned high from the ground, an eerie orange glow beamed through the grime covered glass, casting its light over me and the grim interior. Judging from the random debris around the room, it appeared to be a disused warehouse. There was no sign of anyone else in the room. My throat burned and I felt tears prickle in my eyes when I thought of Jett. I had to see him, to know if he was alive or... No, I couldn't think like that. I pushed the thought away as I felt my heart begin to break at the very idea that he might be gone.

I blinked a few times, getting rid of the threatening tears, and trying to focus. I felt a sting across my forehead as I opened them wider, arching my brows. I automatically went to lift a hand to the source of the pain, but found myself unable to reach up. Panic began to flush through me at the inability to move and everything tilted once again, the pain from my bashed body ripped through me. I felt a tug and burn at my wrists as I struggled harder, realising that they were bound. I kicked my legs, ignoring the painful protest that my body made in response as they barely moved from under their binds. As I became more aware of myself, it was clear that I was bound to a chair. The thuds of the wooden legs against the concrete got louder the harder I tried to free myself, until a cold laugh echoed around the room and I froze.

"Seems like a little birdy is awake."

I recognised the voice immediately, bringing with it, the crushing realisation of just what was going on. Barely a second later he came into view. His green eyes were practically glowing with happiness and pride as he looked down at me.

"What a wonderful sight." He said smugly, coming closer, invading my personal space and kneeling just out of my reach.

"Fuck you." I growled, my voice was slightly weak, but my tone strong with the anger pumping through my veins at the sight of him, the asshole who had brought about this entire situation.

"That's not very friendly is it? Especially after all I've done for you." His tone had changed to one of hurt and sadness, but I knew it was fake.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes towards the ceiling, instantly regretting it as I felt dizzy. I refused to allow myself to look weaker than I was in this moment and stared back at the two versions of him that floated in front of me. I saw his lips curve into an evil and amused grin and figured he had seen right through me.

"You're being very ungrateful you know, it's only thanks to me that you're sitting here alive."

"Oh yeah? How did you figure that one out?" I snapped.

"I pulled you out of that wreck, in good time too actually. Judging by the fuel leaking from it, I'm guessing it blew up not too long after."

It was like someone had just punched me in the gut, I immediately felt nauseous again and I silently prayed that Jett made it out, that he was alive too.

"Well if you expect me to thank you for that, then you'll have to come closer." I said.

"Closer hey? I didn't think you were that kind of girl." He teased, his brow arched in surprise and intrigue.

"I'm not," I retorted, "I need to puke and you're just out of my range."

He laughed again, the echo rang in my ears, making my brain feel like it was rattling around in my skull.