Forced Hand

I woke up the next morning, a mixture of both dread and relief flooding through me. I hated that I had to see Carl again this morning, but the knowledge that, after this, he would be gone from my life, was a soothing thought. I took a few calming breaths, mainly to allow the sudden desire I had to hit something, to pass, then kicked my duvet off and rolled out of bed.

I made quick work of showering and dressing, I didn't even bother to eat anything before leaving the house. I didn't think I'd be able to stomach it anyway.

The air outside was fresh and cool, breathing it in as I walked to my truck, settled my nauseous and anxious feelings, and I began to feel a little stronger as I jumped into the driver's seat and swung the door closed. I knew Jett wouldn't be at the garage just yet, neither would Carl. But I wanted to get there early. I didn't trust my so called father as far as I could throw him, I certainly wasn't about to leave him hovering outside of the garage for any longer than necessary.

I pulled up at the garage at ten to seven, cut the engine and leant back in my seat, huffing out a sigh. I looked around through the dim surroundings for a sign of the annoying pain in the ass walking towards me. The sky was still dark, it's inky blue fading into a lighter purple as the minutes ticked by.

I heard the sound of an engine, I glanced at the clock, a couple of minutes before seven, I knew who that would be. I checked the rearview mirror, and sure enough, Jett's blue Ranger went passed, then pulled up in its usual place nearby. I didn't see much point in hanging around in the car, so I opened the door, leapt out and began to walk forward. The slight smell of diesel now hung in the fresh, cool air. It chilled my cheeks as I walked against the slight breeze, drinking in the early morning sighting of Jett. Clearly not long out of bed, his black hair was slightly messier than usual. His blue eyes shone through the dim light and his short sleeved, black t-shirt hugged his muscles, fitting tightly to his arms and shoulders. My eyes lingered on him, wandering down to his hips, where his dark blue jeans hung low, and made my mind wander to what I knew was hidden beneath the denim.

"Hey, how long have you been here?" Jett asked, locking his truck and slowly walking towards the door.

"Only about ten minutes, wanted to get here before he did. Get it over with." I replied, running my fingers through my hair, sweeping it back from my face and refocusing my gaze to Jett's handsome face.

"You sure that's the only reason?" He half laughed.

I rolled my eyes, clearly he could read me like a book.

"Okay, I don't want him anywhere near the garage, especially not for long."

He laughed and began to unlock the door.

"Well, he's late, but I'm sure it won't be long, then he'll be gone."

"Yeah, I hope so." I muttered as the door swung open.

Jett flicked on the light switch, and was about to take a step, when I swung an arm out to stop him, my eyes on the floor, where I could see a single piece of paper. My heart sank and I felt that familiar rage and sickness warring within me. I bent low, picking it up and noticing the writing in that familiar hand that I hadn't seen for so long. Jett looked at me, curiosity alive in his eyes.

Theens,

I decided not to stick around. Needed to get back on the road, places to go and all that. I wrote the address you need to take the money to, on the back of this note. I told them to expect you tonight. I'd get going, they won't be happy if you're late.