A Shove in the Wrong Direction

I heard Jett shout something and then a responding thud of a punch. Dazed, my cheek stinging, and eyes watering, I pushed my hand against the cold, hard floor, getting up to my knees. I looked up to see two men struggling to hold Jett back, his strong body was fighting to get free and charge the man who struck me, but they weren't loosening their grip. The man who had knocked me down, now stood over me, his lips lifted in a cold, satisfied smile. He rested his hand on his belt, which pushed his jacket back a little, revealing the handle of a gun that was tucked into a holster.

"Now, let's try this again. I'm really not asking for much. Just a small favour."

"I'm not like my father. I'm not a criminal." I said angrily, meeting those cold and empty eyes with my own determined gaze.

He gave me a thoughtful look and then smirked.

"You're right. I can see that you are nothing like your father. Carl Summers is a snivelling coward. A weak man, who rolled over and begged me to let him send his own child to settle his debt."

Hearing how Carl had planned this from the start sent a searing anger through me. Not that it was overly shocking, but that he would still knowingly put me in this position to save his own ass.

"You on the other hand, you intrigue me. You walk into a building with no idea who, or what, awaits you, and you show more courage than I'd expect. Not that it matters at the end of the day." He shrugged nonchalantly, "You will do what I ask of you, if you want to walk out of here."

"If it's such a small favour, then why do you need me to do it?" I growled, still half kneeling on the floor.

He turned and walked back towards his desk, my eyes followed his long and graceful strides until he stopped and faced me once again.

"Well, that happened by chance you see. It just so happens that my mechanic has had to take some... unexpected time off." He tilted his head to the side and I heard a low rumble of laughter among his men. "Let's call it a workplace accident. It turned out that your father was released, and picked up by my men on the same day. He heard of my staffing issues, and offered a solution."

I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes, opportunistic fucker.

"Of course he did." I muttered under my breath.

"I have a few orders to fulfill, and on a tight schedule. I need you to just help me meet that deadline, and in exchange, you walk out of here, unharmed."

He walked back towards me, stopping right in front of me, Jett began to struggle again, clearly distressed, wanting to get to me. I glanced at him, trying to assure him I was okay, but it didn't ease the fight he put up.

"So, do we have a deal?" The man asked, holding out his hand.

"Tell your men to let him go." I replied firmly.

He looked amused and sighed, looking to them and nodding once. They released Jett, who instantly moved to my side. He bent down, and held his arm out for me to pull myself up. He watched us curiously, before pressing on.

"Last chance, do we have a deal?"

"This is the only time I'm doing this, and you leave us and my mother alone once it's done."

He laughed, scratching his temple.

"Is that what he told you to get you here? Your mother was never at risk, and if you hadn't have come here, you wouldn't have been either."