Resistance

I dreaded heading to work the entire morning. It was something that I had never really felt before, but after the events of the previous night, it wasn't exactly shocking. I felt like a million butterflies had taken up home in my stomach, their wings fluttering hard enough to cause vibrations that felt like the beat of a dozen drums. I was relieved to see that Jett wasn't around as I approached the garage. I managed to slip inside, thanking my lucky stars that I was able to avoid awkwardness this early in the morning.

After I changed, I set my sights on a car I took in a few days before. It's annoyingly loud screech, could initially be heard at the end of the road. But today, that noise was my friend as I'd be using that to have a logical reason to avoid speaking to Jett. Grabbing the keys from the box, I started it up. Right away the painfully loud squeal set up. I heard a faint thud, and Jett swearing somewhere nearby, clearly caught off guard by the sudden noise. A wicked grin spread across my lips at the mental image of his face at that moment and I revved it again, increasing the volume of the noise. I looked up through the windscreen, just in time to see Jett walking into view. His hair was dishevelled and his eyes tired. It looked like he'd only just woken up, if he'd even slept. It was too hard to tell, but seeing his fragile state ignited my sympathy and made me feel guilty. I killed the engine as his eyes met mine. There was the briefest spark in them, before they turned cold, almost sad, and he turned away.

Well that was a terrific start.

I rolled my eyes, climbing out of the car and getting down to work.

For most of the morning Jett had been in the office, sorting through a mountain of paperwork by the looks of things. Every now and again I could feel him watching me, it made my skin tingle and my body quiver. Each time I looked up, he would avert his gaze, I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't want anything to do with me, or he did, and yet couldn't. Honestly, the confusion he was making me feel, was driving me insane. Doing my best to seperate my work from whatever this was, or wasn't, I continued with my jobs list.

I slid the creeper back under the car. I'd just raised my arm, ready to continue the repairs I'd begun when I heard Jett clearing his throat at my side. I squeezed my eyes shut, and shook my head slightly, ignoring his half-assed attempt at engaging with me.

"Athena?"

His voice broke through my defences. He sounded hesitant, yet his voice carried that sexy huskiness, and an edge of vulnerability that I couldn't ignore. I blew out a silent breath, gathering myself enough to ensure my reply would be calm and measured.

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Isn't that what you're already doing?" I replied, not quite managing to keep the sarcasm from my tone.

I heard him sigh in response before trying again.

"I mean face to face."

"Err, can it wait, in case the whole, me being under a car thing slipped your notice, I'm kinda busy here."

Silence greeted my response, and I was about to breathe out a sigh of relief when I was suddenly yanked out from under the car. The creeper skidded to a halt, leaving me looking up at Jett, a cocky smirk now lighting up that devilishly sexy face of his.

"What was that for?" I half yelled.

"I said I wanted to talk to you."

"And I said, I was busy. We're at work Jett. This is what work looks like." I snapped, clutching the bumper of the car, about to drag myself back under.