New Arrivals and Secret Demons

Over the next week, I had started to settle in, beginning to see Springdale as my home. Everyone I'd met so far had been welcoming, warm, friendly and approachable. Well, aside from Bonnie. I spent my days in the garage, working my ass off with Jett. We had made quite a big dent in the workload by now. Jett had been impressed with both my skills and energy so far. He had even begun to open up more, and I lost count of how many times my playful jibes had got a smile from him or a witty comeback. It was a new pace in my life, and I loved it. I loved venturing to the pub after my shifts, I wasn't a big drinker, but certainly enjoyed a cold bottle of beer by the window, before heading home to my small, empty cottage. Everything was pretty great so far. Everything except my growing attraction to my boss. With each passing day that I spent with him, my mind wandered deeper and deeper into inappropriate territory. The muscles flexing in his toned and strong arms caught my eye, I imagined being trapped beneath him by them, his strength giving me no escape from the innermost desires of his mind. I stood watching the shimmering beads of sweat roll against his golden skin that was tinged with streaks of black oil, as he worked away under cars. I longed to allow my fingers to wander that same trail along his body.

"Athena?"

Jett's voice pulled me from my daydream and I stood upright, nearly bumping my head on the bonnet.

"Yeah?" I replied, trying to pass off the moment of clumsiness.

"I asked if you'd ordered in the brake pads for the C-Max?

"Oh, yeah," I nodded, dusting the dirt off my hands against my coveralls. "I spoke to Eddie over there, he said he'll overnight them tonight."

"Great, I need that out of here asap." Jett yawned, scraping his hand through his black hair.

"Late night?" I asked getting back to the job I was working on, semi aware that Jett would now be given a perfect view of my ass, and finding that slightly amusing.

"Does it still count as late if I didn't sleep?" He sighed.

I tipped my face to the side, looking up and into his tired eyes.

"How come?"

He shrugged in response, it wasn't the 'I don't know' type of reply, more of an 'It doesn't matter'. I was curious, but there was no point pushing him just yet. I may have only been around for a week, but I'd still managed to pick up a few things about Jett.

"Well why don't you take a shower and have a nap, I can handle things out here."

He looked like he was about to argue, before a timely yawn interrupted. I laughed, standing back up.

"Honestly It's fine."

He nodded reluctantly, and wandered towards the back, untying the sleeves of his coveralls as he walked. I tore my eyes from his retreating form, focusing back on the job as I heard him call out.

"Athena, thanks."

"No problem."

Rising from the ground, I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand. It had been a few hours since Jett had gone for a nap, and I'd been cracking on like I said I would. I'd finished a fair few things by now, and was starting to get thirsty. Fancying a cuppa, I walked out to the break room, making sure to be as quiet as I could, so that I wouldn't disturb him. I flicked on the kettle and stood waiting for it to boil. I couldn't help the curiosity overtaking my boredom at waiting, and before I knew it, I was standing in the doorway of the locker room.