Betrayal

I've looked behind a giant crate... nothing. 'This is the twentieth one!' My efforts to find Claire were coming out in vain. Every time I heard any kind of noise I'd go after it, in hopes that the creator of the noise was Claire. It wasn't. Just a cat, rats and the wind.

I'll be honest, looking in the docks at the middle of the night for a person, wasn't and isn't the easiest thing ever. Especially, when her evil boyfriend could be lurking around, preparing to blast me into oblivion.

I could feel my anxiety levels slowly rising as my mind thought every worst possible case scenario of what could have and might happen to me or Claire. It didn't help that it was night and the lights around here were extraordinarily dim, and I wasn't a fan of the darkness. Especially, when I'm in an unfamiliar place and setting.

I've always lived close to Claire in El Paso, so docks weren't exactly an everyday kind of thing. The only time Claire and I went to any docks was five years ago when all the grownups disappeared. Of course, we were accompanied by Mariana who had to call her friends Magan, Connor and Wally to help out with the blown-up tiers of her parents' car. They got there really fast. How? When we were miles away from them? Don't know, never cared to ask.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. All the consequences of today's events were finally catching up to me. My legs were hurting from all the running I had done, and because of Mariana's not so safe driving. My brain was getting all fuzzy thanks to all the information that was trying to sink in at once. My body felt like disagreeing with me and going in directions I didn't want. All in all, I felt exhausted and scared.

I wanted to stop... I wanted to rest... I wanted to go home... I wanted to see Maria and Claire safe... I wanted to see my nonna again, to hug her and reassure her that I was fine... I wanted to go back in time and just ask the others for help instead of running off... I wanted to just wake up in my bed and see that this was just some weird, bizarre and scary dream.

Unfortunately, things are never that easy. The sound of a metal can hitting the ground made me shift my attention to the side. I stopped dead in my tracks. Someone was hidden in the shadow, or at least, trying to hide.

"Felicity?" 'That voice...' The person slowly moved forward, moving to stand in front of one of the many dim lights.

"Claire!" A wave of relief washed over me as my concern slowly dissipated. She ran over to me and hugged me. I, of course, did the same. "You're ok!"

"I'm fine... are you ok?"

"I'm perfect." We let go and I grabbed my phone and the paper Mariana had given me, out of my pocket. "We have to go." She said nothing as I dialled the number and called. It rang once. Twice. Tree times. Nothing. "Crap!"

"What's wrong?"

"She won't pick up..."

"She who? One of your friends?"

"No. Well, yes. I was trying to call-"

"Found you."

You know that moment when you hear something being said really creepily and it makes your neck hairs stand on end and makes you shiver uncontrollably? Yeah, I'm going through that.

Both Claire and I turned to look up, spotting something floating above one of the crates. No, wait, not something. Someone. Blue Beetle to be exact. 'Shit.'

Neither of us had any time to process anything thanks to Blue attacking us. One of his arms turned into some kind of sonic cannon. Virgil had mentioned that Blue used it when he was fighting Volcano, and it was the reason as to why the building had been collapsing around us.