Chapter Five

'Challenge'

Hadrian slowly sat up in his bed, reluctant to move from the comfortable mattress and warm sheets. When Hadrian had been living with the Dursleys he had slept in a small cramped cupboard and recently he'd been travelling often without having a place to stay. The Slytherin bedrooms were a luxury to Hadrian, the dark green silk sheets made it incredibly difficult for him the leave in the morning. Eventually, Hadrian left his bed and began to dress. His robes and school jumper left forgotten on the floor as he walked down to the great hall in a shirt and crooked Slytherin tie. A yawn escaped his mouth as he caught up to Draco on the way to the hall.

"Morning sleepyhead" Draco chuckled as he smiled at Hadrian, who growled in response.

"Not a morning person, I see" The blonde stated as they walked into the hall. Girl's eyes hungrily followed Hadrian as he sat at the Slytherin table, observing his messy hair that fell over his eyes perfectly and his toned body that was visible through the thin fabric of the shirt. The rest of the hall stared at him in awe, he had an aura of power that made him impossible to ignore. However, the Potter men did not seem at all in awe. James was fuming at Hadrian's lack of respect, shown through his uniform. Evan sat at his table, in front of a plate piled up with food, his knuckles white as he clutched a fork.

"I hate him" Evan sneered as he watched Hadrian sit amongst the welcoming Slytherins.

"Yeah! Hesh a reawl bashtard!" Ron yelled through a mouthful of chicken.

"Ronald, please don't speak with your mouthful" Hermione added, receiving harsh glares from both Evan and Ron.
"Why do you even hate him, Evan?" She asked later.

"He's stealing my spotlight! He's rude! He dared to insult me! He's probably not even good at magic!" Evan argued, hitting his fists against the table like a five-year old.

"Yeah! We'll show 'im up in DADA! You're the boy who lived, no one can beat you! Or me, I am your right hand man after all!" Ron replied with a smug grin, joining Evan in hitting the table.

***

Evan strutted into the classroom, recieving a proud grin from James as he did so. It was their last lesson of the day, Defence against the dark arts, with Professor Potter.

Everyone else was seated at their desks, but Evan and Ron remained standing near the front of the classroom. They both wore smug expressions, knowing they were James's favourite students. They would always act like this is James and Lily's classes, more so James's.

"Alright, class! Today we begin duelling, who wants to demonstrate some spells!" James announced with a large smile. A few students groaned at James's optimism.

Evan struggled up onto the duelling platform, hindered by his large form. He did a slow turn, an ugly grin on his face as he looked at all the spectators.

"I want to fight Hadrian! He acts too smug, but he cant beat the boy who lived!" Evan announced, recieving a large cheer from Ron and a few Griffindors.

Hadrian, unlike Evan, gracefully climbed onto the platform with a calm expression.

Evan turned to the Slytherins, grabbing Daphne's hand before she could recoil.

"You are beautiful, but it is unfortunate that you're a slimy snake. Anyway! I'll win this for you, since I know you'll love me" he said as he planted a kiss on Daphne's hand. She quickly pulled her hand away as she, and Pansy who stood beside her, grimaced at the thought of Evan.

Hadrian let out a small chuckle at this interaction, only to be stopped by a glare from Daphne. He nodded back to her, signalling that he would destroy Evan for her.

'This will be fun, little Potter has a crush' Hadrian thought to himself as James stepped onto the platform.

"Good choice son, she's pretty but she is a snake" James chuckled, playfully elbowing his overweight son.

"NOW! Evan, Hadrian, to your places. Begin in 3, 2-" The professor's count down was interrupted by Evan yelling a spell.

"Expelliarmus!" He yelled as he waved his wand. A blue light shot out of his wand and arced towards Hadrian, who easily deflected it with a swish of his hand.

"W-what! How did you do that?!" Evan yelled as his face contorting in rage. James stood beside him, his mouth forming at 'o' shape.

"Let's get on with it" Hadrian sighed before casting a spell.

"Levicorpus" Hadrian returned, waving his wand nonchalantly. Evan was instantly dangling from one leg in the air. He let out a high pitch scream as his cloak fell over his face. All, but the Griffindors, chuckled and giggled at the sight of the 'golden boy'.

"Hadrian! How dare you to that to the boy who lived!" James yelled as he reversed the curse. Evan was fuming as he scampered to his feet and faced Hadrian.

"Serpensortia!" He yelled, causing a large green snake to fly out of his wand. The snake landed with a hiss in-between the two boys, it's ferocious eyes glaring at Hadrian. It quickly turned towards the crowd, eyes focused on Draco.

"Do not harm him" Hadrian hissed. Everyone turned to him in shock. He decided to quickly finish the duel before returning to the snake.

"Sectumsempra" He muttered, the curse hitting Evan without Hadrian moving his wand or hand. James rushed to his son's side trying to stop the curse's effect, still shocked from Hadrian's speaking.

"D-did he just?" A Ravenclaw girl began to ask, before being hushed by her housemates. The snake remained focused on Draco for a while longer before turning to Hadrian.

"Your a sspeaker?" The snake asked as it slithered closer towards Hadrian.

"Yess, I am" He replied as the snake climbed up the boys leg and eventually curled around his neck.

"May I ssstay with you speaker?" The snake questioned, it's yellow unblinking eyes looking up at him. Hadrian thought for a moment. It would benefit Circe as she was normally left alone in his room and he did like snakes. Hadrian quickly nodded to the snake before turning and facing Evan and James.

Both their faces, like everyone else's, were shocked, their mouths open in suprise.

"You can speak to snakes?!" Ron stuttered as he pointed at Hadrian.

Hadrian only nodded before excusing himself.

"I have a snake to look after, and lesson is officially over so I'll be leaving" he stated as he exited the classroom, followed by an excited group of murmuring Slytherins.

***

"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness"