Chapter Twenty-two

'Unhappy beginnings'

Draco woke slowly, his whole body ached and his head was throbbing uncontrollably. The though of how much he had drunk shocked him. What shocked him more was finding himself naked. Hickeys covered his pale skin, from his neck down to his thighs. From that and the aching of his body, specifically the lower areas, Draco could guess what he did last night. However, the memories themselves were still foggy. He could only remember the sense of pleasure.

Groaning, Draco slowly pulled himself off the bed and begun to dress. The sun was shining brightly through his windows, painting his skin in a yellow light. A quick tempus told him the Hogwarts express would be leaving in two hours. Excitement filled his body as he thought about reuniting with his friends.

A knock sounded sharply on his door, startling the boy. Draco hastily moved to welcome his guest. He was met with the expressionless face of his godfather, Severus Snape. Silently, Draco ushered the man into his room and sat down on the bed next to him. The blonde could tell that Severus had something important to tell him.

"Good morning, uncle Sev." Greeted Draco, his face flushing red as he quickly adjusted his robes to hide the red marks that decorated his neck. If the professor did notice, he didn't show it.

"Drink this," Severus sighed, handing Draco a small vial. Draco quickly obliged, drinking the potions. Almost as soon as he did, he could feel affects of his hangover lessening. The throbbing in his head subsided, causing the boy to breath a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, I really couldn't have gone to Hogwarts like that," the blonde chuckled. The corners of Severus's lips turned up in a slight smile.

"Of course not." He replied, slowly standing. Snape began to leave, turning just before the door.

"Make sure you thank Hadrian for bringing you home." With that Severus left, no doubt to floo to Hogwarts.

Realisation instantly hit Draco. He had woken naked, hungover and covered in hickeys. Whoever he had fucked, had obviously been at his house. Until Severus's words, he had believed it was a meaningless one night stand. But, it wasn't.

He had slept with Hadrian Black. The boy whom he'd loved and lusted after since they'd met. The same Hadrian who only considered Draco a friend. Only a friend.

"Of course. He was obviously as drunk as I was, he wouldn't actually like me," Draco whimpered, desperately trying to hold in his tears. He doubted that Hadrian even remembered that it was Draco he'd fucked. Draco certainly hadn't remembered much until Sev's helpful hint.

Hadrian had never know love, living in the horrible conditions that he did. He was a brutal, merciless assassin. He was the kind of person that could kill his darkest fears. Who had killed his darkest fears. Draco, on the other hand, could barely survive daily life. Each day spent with Hadrian threatened to break him.

Letting out a deep breath, Draco slowly calmed himself. His mother and father couldn't know that he was crying. Especially not over a boy, even if that boy was Hadrian Black.

***

Draco slumped down on the seats of the compartment. Normally, after the holidays were over, Draco would be ecstatic to see his friends again. However, as the Hogwarts express slowly left the platform, he was only filled with anxiety.

"What's got you so sad?" Pansy enquired, sitting next to the boy.

"Pansy. If you were to... Sleep... With someone, but you were friends, would you tell them? Because, what would happen to the friendship? What if they didn't even like you-"

"You fucked Hadrian!" Draco ramblings were cut of by Pansy squealing. The girl wrapped her arms around Draco, eyes full of excitement.

"I always knew you'd get together!"

"Pans, we- we're not together... I was drunk. He was drunk. I doubt he even remembers that it was me." Draco sighed, eyes threatening to tear up again.

"Draco, I'm sure tha-" The compartment door slammed open. A large red haired boy tumbled into the compartment. His chubby hands grasped at the seats as he sprawled into the floor. Hadrian walked in after, glaring at the boy. Hadrian still wore his leather jacket and jeans, his hair was messier than usual. No doubt he had been fighting with Evan. Said boy lay in the ground, almost crying, as a extremely large snake slithered towards him. The snake was soon wrapping around Evan's leg, causing Evan to cry even more.

"Don't you dare, ever, try to curse me from behind again, brother." His words were full of spite, especially the last one. The snake hissed dangerously before unwinding from Evan's leg.

The boy-who-lived quickly ran away, pushing past Hadrian. His fear was evident as he raced away.

Hadrian. The boy who Draco had been attempting to avoid. The blonde hastily turned to Pansy, his eyes a silent cry for help. He loved being around Hadrian, the only problem was that he loved Hadrian. And after what they had done, it was too much.

He had been given a glimpse of everything he'd wanted, then forced to watch it crumble to pieces.

"So! Hadrian! Have you heard the news!" Pansy instantly jumped up, grabbing Hadrian's arm. Unfortunately, he was able to resist as she tried to pull him out the compartment.

"What new? And, Draco, I was hoping to talk to you." Hadrian responded, his toxic green eyes locking onto Draco.

"Draco's not feeling too well." Pansy gave a sympathetic smile before continuing talking.

"But! That's not as important as what's happening this year! I heard from my father, the TriWizard Tournament is being held at Hogwarts. Let's go tell Blaise and Theo, shall we?"

As Hadrian reluctantly followed Pansy out of the compartment, his eyes met Draco's. The intoxicating green eyes of Hadrian Black. The look had sent shivers down his spine. Draco felt himself shudder as the compartment seemed to grown colder and harsher. Hadrian knew he was lying.

***

"But he, who dares not grasp the thorn, should never crave the rose"