Chapter Twenty-seven

'The Yule Ball'

Soon after the first task, students and champions alike had been informed of the Christmas tradition asocciated with the TriWizard Tournament. The Yule Ball. Hadrian had, being a champion, been told ahead of time.

"Mr Black, a word please." The stern Griffindor head called, pulling him away from his work. He had easily finished the transfiguration work and set himself something more challenging. Looking up from the book he had been so focused on, Hadrian watched McGonagall call to Evan aswell.

The teacher and champions silently exited the classroom, where they were met with Fleur and Victor. The two foreign champions didn't look too pleased at being disturbed either.

"As Champions, you and your partners-" McGonagall began, before Evan interrupted, a scowl on his large, pink face.

"What partners! This isn't meant to be a team tournament! Why don't I have a partner if they do!" He yelled, his face turning even more red. The sudden discoloration on his walrus like face remind Hadrian of Vernon.

"Your dance partners for the Yule Ball," she said coldly, stopping Evan's rant instantly. Hadrian couldn't help but scoff at the interaction. It seemed that Professor McGonagall like Evan just about as much as the other champions. Evan quickly went a bright pink as Fleur also let out small laugh, Victor managing to successfully cover his laugh with a cough.

"Traditionally, the champions and their partners open the ball-" Evan opened his mouth to speak again, raising his hand, "- And that is final, Mr Potter."

Over the next week, Hadrian had received hundreds of invitations to the Ball from girls from every Hogwarts house and the other two schools. Of course, he had denied them all. He already had his sights set on a certain Slytherin boy.

***

Hadrian carefully pulled on his dress robes in his dormitory. His dress robes were rather like a suit, minus the tie. They were a deep black, with intricate patterns lining his shirt. The colour stood out against his pale skin, making his vibrant green eyes even more noticeable. He was excruciatingly handsome to everyone who saw him as he entered the common room. All eyes flickered to him as he stepped foot into the room. It was unofficial, but everyone in the year considered Hadrian Black the Slytherin King. They a watched with admiration and respect as he stood, his eyes skimming the crowd. Hadrian's eyes finally locked onto a pair of grey eyes. Draco was wearing an elegant pale blue dress robe, his hair slicked back in the usual formal manner.

"Shall we?" Hadrian asked, holding a hand out to Draco. The blonde eagerly took his hand, a light blush dusting his face. The two boys began walking through the crowd of Slytherins and out of the common room, hands still entwined.

Following McGonagall's instructions, the pair found themselves waiting outside the large doors of the Great hall as the other students flooded inside. Victor Krum soon appeared, offering a curt nod towards Hadrian and Draco before turning back to his partner. To Hadrian's suprise, it was Granger hanging onto Victor's arm. Her bushy hair had been tamed and twisted into an elegant knot at the back of her head and she wore a periwinkle blue dress. She glanced nervously at Hadrian before staring back at Krum.

"Hello, Victor." Hadrian greeted the foreign champion as Fleur joined them waiting. The Beauxbatons champion was partnered with an older boy that Hadrian couldn't recognise. Fleur seemed rather unimpressed as the boy drooled over her, barely even taking his eyes off her. The champions began making pleasant conversation, waiting for the arrival of Evan Potter.

"I didn't know that it was so normal for Wizards and Witches to have partners of the same gender," Hermione stated, her brow creased in thought.

"Yes, it seems only muggleborns, and occasionally half-bloods are under the illusion that it's a 'sin'," growled Draco, holding onto Hadrian's arm tightly as the conversation turned to them.

"I wish the Muggle world was more like that," Hermione sighed. The bookworm, as Hadrian discovered, wasn't quite as obnoxious as her company. She still worshiped Evan, though only for his deed that saved the Wizarding World. She had been polite and friendly to Hadrian and Draco, despite the house rivalry and obvious discourse between them and Evan.

"Where is he?" Asked Fleur, obviously becoming annoyed at waiting so long. The champions had been waiting for a long time now, with no signs of Evan joining them. No one could think of where he would be, and dispite the staff's beat efforts they couldn't find him.

Suddenly, a rather panicked McGonagall rushed through the doors, a frown painting her face.

"Champions, you will have to enter without Mr Potter. He is nowhere to be found and you cannot keep the ball waiting any longer," she explained, anger evident in her voice. The champions and their partners gathered in a line and entered the Great Hall.

The students and staff alike applauded as the Champions entered. A few loyal Boy-Who-Lived fanatics were watching the champions enter with confusion and annoyance. Two of whom, where Lily and James Potter. The pair sat at the top table, beside Dumbledore, with frowns on their faces. Dumbledore seemed to have the same dilemma, watching the champions as the twinkle in his eyes seemed to falter. Hadrian didn't even try to conceal his smirk as he watched them.

Dumbledore and the Potters were still frowning as the champions reached the top table. Hadrian and Draco took the seats next to Krum and Hermione. Small menus were lying on the golden plate in front of them. Draco smirked to Hadrian was he picked up his own. The formalities seemed very unlike Hogwarts. Hadrian was about to pick up his own when the large doors to the great hall creaked open. The leisurely chatter stopped as a very red faced Evan Potter strutted into the room, his large fist balled in anger as he approached the top table.

***

"Thinking of you is a poison I drink often"

***

I'm planning on beginning a new book. This book will still resume as usual, but I was wondering if you guys would prefer the new book to be published whilst this book is being published or once this book is finished?