|Chapter - 1| Shock

Sophie Foster sat in the back of a human cafe, her brown eyes scanning the people around her. To anyone else it may have looked like she was looking for someone, but Sophie was watching those seated around her. 

She watched the mother sit with her children slowly sipping a cup of tea. She watched the business man type away at his computer, coffee left cold at the side of his laptop. She watched the two woman talking over lunch, speaking in loud tones. She watched the barista listen to yet another customers order with a look that said she would rather be anywhere else than here.

The TV was on and droning on about politics and what the most famous celebrities were up to now. Sophie nearly laughed at the fact 12 years ago she would have been watching with intrest, but now she barely even acknowledges its existence. Oh how her world had changed in the past 12 years.

The small bell above the door rang and Sophie turned her head to see who was entering. It was a woman maybe 30 years old. Her hair was blonde at the tips, but her roots were a vibrant red. She wore some simple jeans, and a red sweater but she immediately put Sophie on edge. Her movements were to precise, her stance to stiff, her eyes to analytical for her to be normal.

Sophie checked her imparter for any updates from Mr. Forkel. He had sent her put on a quick mission earlier that morning in which she had to watch humans for the day. It was boring yes, but Sophie found it interesting to watch the humans around them. She remembered how a titan named Thanos had snapped his fingers and half the population had died.

But nit the elves. Maybe it was their immortality or maybe it was that it was unlikely Thanos even knew they existed. But it had been strange. Half of all humans dying? But at least her human family had not been dusted away by the snap. That was one good thing.

The bell rang again and Sophie saw someone she did recognize. It was her boyfriend Fitz Vacker. His clothes were athletic and the light sheen of sweat on his forehead made Sophie think he had been running recently. 

He sat down on the chair across from Sophie, then leaned over and gave her a quick peck on the lips. Then in a motion swift as lightning took a fry from her plate, and ate it. "Hey!" Sophie said trying to hit him for stealing her food.

Fitz laughed and took another fry "Sorry. I'm just hungry!" he lowered his voice and after a quick sweep of his eyes over the cafe to make sure no one was listening siad "Hows it going? It seemed like a pretty sudden thing to organize this morning."

Sophie bit her lip. It did feel sudden. "Its fine. I just have this," she paused amd looked down, trying to think of the right word "Feeling. I don't know how to explain it but it just feels like something bad." Sophie looked back upto see Fitz  staring at the TV his eyes wide, and jaw slack.

Sophie turned to the TV and her breath became uneven and unsteady. There was an aerial view of a loarge mansion. Sophie recognized the house. It was the Vacker family home, Everglen. And below it in large text there was the words: STRANGE MANSION FOUND NEAR LARGE LAKE. 

It was a loud thud that made Sophie realise Fitz had passed out.