|Chapter 15| Start the Fight

Sophie Foster's head was spinning.

She felt like she was floating, drifting away into the clouds. A thousand different thoughts swam in her head, drifting in and out of clarity. The pressure was building, like a bomb that was slowly counting down to zero.

She groaned and almost immediately heard noises around her. A hand took hers and her upper body was lifted up off the floor. Her head hung over an arm, and she felt warm.

"Sophie?" a familiar voice asked her. She groaned again, struggling to open her eyes.

A sound halfway between a moan and a word escaped her lips. She felt the arms shift under her, and soon she was aware that she was being carried somewhere.

She was settled against a wall. She felt the presence of someone in front of her, and a warm hand brushed a hair off her face. She leaned into the touch, savouring the moment.

Her bleary eyes blinked open. The world was blurry and distorted for a moment, but soon enough her senses sharpened.

Fitz was infront of her, Keefe just behind him. They both were staring at her in relief, but there was also a twinge of exhaustion in their faces. Circles sat heavy under their eyes, barely noticeable in the rather dark room. Their sleeves were rolled up, revealing crisp white bandages on their arms.

They also had two other things that Sophie had a feeling weren't good signs. A thick metal band was one of their wrists, and a silver disk with a pulsing blue light was attached to their necks.

Seeing those made her aware of the band on her wrist, and the disk that was on her neck. Her hand touched the disk, and she looked at the boys, hopelessly confused.

"The bracelets are some health thing. I'm pretty sure it's for vitals, checking consciousness, and all that jazz." Keefe said.

"And this?" she said, slightly pulling on the disk. She winced.

Fitz and Keefes eyes met. They seemed to be debating what to say, but slowly Fitz turned back to her. He rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes focusing on the device. "I'm not one hundred percent sure as to what it is, or how it works but I do know what it does."

"What does it do?" Sophie asked, her voice quavering.

"Lowest level, it just gives a bit of a shock. Highest..." he trailed off for a second, but picked up again, "I don't know. But it can paralyse you, and sometimes knock you out for an hour or two."

Sophie's eyes narrowed. "How do you know this?" she hissed, already having guessed the answer.

"We've seen it in action." Fitz whispered. "They've been interrogating us non stop for the past two days. Doing everything from separating us, putting us together, using the disk to try and get us to talk."

"I've been asleep for the entire time?"

"Not necessarily asleep, more like in a mini coma-"

"There's no such thing as a 'mini coma', Keefe." Fitz said, making air quotes. "It's either a coma or not."

"Okay, okay, sorry. You were in a coma," he glared at Fitz, who returned the favour, "due to a...flashback I guess. They've been checking in on you every so often, but now that you're awake, I think theyre gonna let you join in on the interrogations."

"Oh joy." Sophie said, getting to her feet. She glanced around the dark room, which she now noticed had multiple sleeping figures spread across the floor.

"Are there any beds?" she asked, and then added, "What time is it even?"

"Nope, we get to enjoy the great luxury of sleeping on a metal floor. And I have absolutely no idea." Fitz said, steadying her as she stumbled.