|Chapter - 5| Test

When Sophie regained consciousness the first thing she saw was the interrogation man being carried out on a stretcher. Guilt pulled at her stomach and she forced her gaze away. He looked pale and sweaty, and on the verge of death.

And Sophie had caused it. She hated hurting things, she hated being an inflictor. She knew what it was like to feel pain, and to think she had inflicted her own pain on someone. And a human no less. The thought made her blood run cold, and caused sweat to start pooling at the nape of her neck.

After the man had been removed Sophie sat alone again. Bored and lonely she started to drum her fingers eventually falling into a rhythm. Her wounds seemed to have been bandaged while she was passed out.

Tap, tap, pause, double tap

Her drumming was cut short when the door slid open. In the doorway stood a new person. His eyes were a brilliant blue and his hair was a golden blonde. He wore a dark suit with a star logo on the front and Sophie could see the edges of a shield strapped to his back.

Sophie recognized him. It was Steve Rogers, also known as Captain America. Before Fitz had discovered her, the captain had been involved in the Battle of New York. He had been all over the TV, with reporters swarming him and analyzing his every action.

He stepped towards Sophie and in one fluid movement cuffed her hands together. He forced her up and soon enough they were walking down long corridors. In order to not loose her mind, and or have a panic attack Sophie counted her steps. At Three Hundred and Sixty Seven steps they arrived at a door. 

The man slid a key card into a slot and after a flash of green the door slid open. He pushed her inside, and made her sit on a white examination table. He walked over to another man with salt and pepper hair and glasses. The two men moved into an adjoining room to her left. 

She took the few moments she had alone to examine her surroundings. It was fairly obvious that it was some sort of medical lab, because of the amount of lab equipment, or at least thats what it looked like.

An uncomfortable feeling settled in Sophies stomach. Although it had been years since Sophie had sustained seriously grievous wounds- wounds that had been hard for even elves to heal- medicine and anything of the sort still set her off. 

She heard the men come back in and the man with salt and pepper hair told Captain America something that piqued Sophies interest. "Get the other person who woke up earlier. I want to make sure that he's not seriously injured. Cant believe Fury is approving torture as an effective way of getting information."

Was he talking about Fitz? Sophie's stomach flipped because she had no idea how long it had been since his...torture. For all she knew Fitz had bled out on the floor and he was dead as a doornail.

The salt and pepper haired dude started fussing over her, replacing her-now that she looked at them-hastily applied and slightly dirty bandages with crisp and clean new ones. He gave her three pills, which Sophie recognized as Advil, along with a cup of water.

She hesitated. It would not be quite smart for her to take Advil from a stranger because for all she knew it could be laced with something. But the man had seemed against the torture so why would she poison her? At the same time, Elwin would have to purge the medicine from her system which would be an unpleasant experience all around.

Her heart throbbed at the mention of Elwin. Were the councillors or her parents looking for them? Certainly the Black Swan must be looking for them. As if on habit her hands flew to her neck looking for her registry pendant, when her hands met her bare neck.