|Chapter 8| Returned Memories

Mr. Sweeney had never been one to get headaches. He had always been a very healthy and athletically inclined man, who drank enough water every day, and walked every day.

Of course he got the occasional headaches, mainly from his high schoolers test responses. But it was the middle of summer, so he had absolutely no reason to get a headache. His first thought had been heat exhaustion or dehydration, but he'd stayed inside his comfortably cool home almost all day, and drank plenty of water.

Lack of sleep? No that couldn't be it. He had gotten at least 9 hours of sleep every day for the past month.

The headache was focused on his forehead. He'd taken two Advil pills as soon as it started but it had done nothing to help him. He groaned, leaning his head against the wall behind him. His dog padded up to him, her big brown eyes displaying curiosity at her owner's peculiar state.

Wait. Brown eyes.

Memories flashed through his head. A pair of defiant brown eyes boring into him, a flash of blonde hair. Headphones, and the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park. Model dinosaurs, and High School students.

And suddenly there was a name attached to it all; Sophie Foster.

He remembered a girl, a twelve year old who'd been one of his students. She had been a genius, but barely paid attention. She would always listen to music, but despite that she could answer every question perfectly.

His mind replayed the day they went to the museum. He remembered how after he had asked Sophie a question, a strange boy had taken her away. He'd reported her missing, of course, but she apparently returned home later like nothing had happened.

A few days later, Sophie's family had moved, but Sophie had not been with them. After that he couldn't remember anything.

Different memories flashed through his head, a world where Sophie had never existed. His headache got worse, and he let out a small moan at the pounding, unforgiving pain in his temple. He had one question on his mind through the entire ordeal:

Why had he forgotten Sophie Foster?

I'm very sorry about the shortness of this chapter. There was originally supposed to be a couple more part of this chapter, but I found that they wouldn't really work, and were slowing down the story way to much. Next chapter is going to be normal length, I can promise that. Also listen to the song above. It is very good.