|Chapter 20| Ares Takes the Field.

Sophie Foster had once heard the story of Achilles, the greatest Greek Hero of all time, and his rage after the death of his lover, Patroclus.

And while Sophie Foster fought against these humans, she had never understood his rage as much as she did. Anger and Rage fuels you, drives you forward and makes you feel so- feel so- invincible.

Like you're a god. And maybe that anger and rage are why Achillies fell, but Sophie Foster will not suffer the same fate.

She inflicts and throws her weapons, fueled by the drug that is adrenaline. Wild like the sea, untamed and uncontrollable.

She meets her first foe, a man armed with a gun.

He fires his gun. Sophie throws a knife.

She dodges the bullet. The knife embeds its self in his leg.

By the time the scream of pain can be heard, Sophie is already fighting someone else.

Cutting and slashing through the opposing forces, she makes her way inside.

Anyone who opposes her gets just a bit of her inflicting. It's just a bit of pain and anger, but it brings them to her knees.

She's running through the cell block, desperately trying to find her sister. Then she sees her, and she brings the door down.

Amy and her exchange the briefest interaction, and Sophie makes her promise to stay here, don't fight, I can't lose you, I love you. Amy hugs her and tells her to give them hell.

Sophie is gone only seconds later.

Tam felt alive.

The shadows were bending at his will, twisting and bending, bringing people to their knees.

Keefe was by his side, throwing knives and stars, covering Tam.

Tam saw Lihn and Marella in the corner of his eye, back to back and looking like the most dangerous couple he had ever seen. Marella's flames danced around them, and Lihns water provided a much-needed shield from bullets and the humans.

Wylie was stoic as he bent the light from the sun, but a small grin broke across his face at a point. His teeth- stained from the blood that was dripping from his bloody nose- were red.

Fitz was back to back with Sophie, the cognates working in perfect sync with one another.

Dex was grabbing weapons from the human's hands and dismantling them before the humans could even react. And when he wasn't doing that, it seemed that explosions would go off.

Tam was trying to keep his sanity and guilt in mind, but a part of him was telling him to lose it, show them what you can do, control the shadowflux like Umber once had.

He shook the thought away.

This was not what was supposed to happen.

Fury watched from the compound, silent and still.

They were not supposed to be here.

And they were not supposed to be winning.

Tony Stark, along with the rest of the Avengers who had aided in kidnapping the young adults had left.

Business in the city was his claim.

Sam had decided an impromptu vacation would be nice.

Natasha had a tie to cut off.

Barton needed some family time.

Carol had matters to attend to in a far off-planet.

The Avengers would no longer help Fury, not while he continued down this path.

They won.

They had won.

Fitz Vacker watched as the dark-skinned man surrendered his forces.

They won.

They had won.

They were safe.

Sophie was running to him, and then they were hugging holding each other tight and then a quick kiss.

Then came what Fitz assumed to be the actual government.

Black military cars, and men and women in fine clothes, flanked by men and women in camouflage.

Then there was a bright light, and when the light settled, there stood the council.

Councillor Terik opened his mouth, started to explain the long-forgotten secrets, and Fitz smiled.

I'm sorry that this chapter isn't that long and isn't that perfect. This entire part was really hard for me to write, because I'm not great at writing action scenes and keeping them going. I hope you got a good idea of what happened. 

Next chapter is going to pick up, similar to the original KOTLC Avengers crossover I did, three months from the end of this chapter. But that will also be explained in chapter 21, which I am going to try and have out by Friday. 

Five more chapters left my friends!

ALSO! The chapter titles for chapters 17-20 were a poem I made! It reads:

As the horn blows,

And things are taken,

And blood is spilled,

Ares takes the field.

Couldn't help referencing Greek Mythology. (Speaking of which go check out my PJO stories on my profile if you're a fan..)