|Chapter 14| Wishing to help

Waking up to screaming was not Fitz Vackers idea of a good alarm clock.

Even worse: he knew exactly who was screaming.

Sophie Foster.

Her screams had been going on for what felt like hours, and Fitz wished he didn't know why. Sophie Foster had yet again been captured, drugged into the oblivion, and maybe even restrained.

When Fitz had first been jerked awake, and once he realised what had happened, he had tried to force the door. The only thing he got out of it was a nasty black and blue bruise on his arm, and the smallest dent in the door.

Now Fitz was huddled in the corner of his cell, trying to remain calm. His eyes were sealed shut, and he was curled into a protective ball. Everytime Sophie's screams grew louder, tears would fall.

He hated this, he hated it so much.

He should be her side like he had been for the past 12 years. He hated remembering the weeks he had thought her dead. He hated the image of Sophie and Dex crumbled near the four seasons tree, both barely alive.

He hated that he knew no one who could help was next to her, coaxing her back into the real world. He hated that he had barely enough strength to stand, let alone transmit to her.

He wondered what his friends were thinking. He wondered if they were awake. A darker part of him wondered if his friends were even alive.

His sister's face flashed in his mind. He remembered the girl she had been, before Sophie, before the Neverseen, before Alavar's betrayal. He bitterly remembered how he had pushed her away, wanting to be cool, and not cling to her.

He wished he had, because he would do anything to see his younger sister that happy again. The day Sophie had been kidnapped had been when that girl had died. He wondered if the old him died that day.

A memory floated in his mind. Two years ago, he and his friends had been on a quick trip to San Diego, the city Siphie had grown up in. A large monarch butterfly had landed on Biana, and he remembered the absolute wonder that had passed over her.

Remembering how she had looked that day, he could see the traces of who she had been. She was consumed with a child-like wonder, her teal eyes never once straying from the animal.

His thoughts were cut short when the door opened.

He stood up immediately, taking in the humans and their weapons. He pressed himself close to the wall, desperately thinking of what to do.

He could see the handcuffs that they intended to put on him. He curled his lip at them, trying to feign strength, when in reality his strength had been whittled down to a miniscule amount.

He really wished one of his friends were here. They all had incredible abilities, ones that could get him out of here in an instant. He was just a telepath, one who had very little energy left, and was separated from his cognate.

So when he was pulled forward, and the handcuffs were put on he didn't resist. Maybe he could let them think he was weak, and when he had his strength and his cognate back, he would make them realise they had been very, very wrong.

They walked through a maze of hallways, yet it wasn't too hard for Fitz to try and memorize.

To start it was all on one floor, meaning there was no need to memorize any staircase routes. They passed near a window that seemed to look into a jet hangar. He made a mental note to remember that.

Eventually they reached a door. An agent stepped forward, and put a keycard in. The door slid open, his handcuffs were taken off, and before he could do anything, he was thrust into the room.

The last thing he saw before the door closed again was the backs of the agents guarding the door.

He tried to get up, and saw there was only one other person in the room. Marella was slumped in the corner, her clothes still covered in ash, and her blonde hair falling in front of her face.

He awkwardly made his way over next to her, and sat down quietly next to her. It seemed that she had really overexerted herself in the battle. That, or she was still drugged.

He sat there quietly for a few minutes, before the door opened again and Tam was thrown in. Keefe was thrown in with him, and it seemed they were both conscious.

Fitz rushed over to his friends, making sure they were okay. Tam told him what had happened, from his escape, to the questioning.

The door opened again and Lihn was brought in, still unconscious. Tam tried to go for the agents, but Fitz and Keefe held him back. Once the door had shut, he shakily walked over to his sister. He took her head in his lap, and cradled her gently.

More of his friends were brought in, and all of them were conscious. Bianca was the last in, tackling Fitz in a hug as soon as she could.

Sophie was the only one not there, but it seemed she had stopped screaming. That or he just couldn't hear her screaming.

The group sat awkwardly around, not sure as to what to do. Tam was the only one with a vaguely interesting story. Fitz wondered why the sedatives had so little effect on him.

At some point Lihn and Marella woke up. Marella made a point of complaining about the amount of ash on her.

Keefe had quipped back, saying that maybe she could make less ash. The banter had turned into an argument, and Marella was about to strangle Keefe when the door opened again.

Sophie Foster was brought in, tied down to a cot, and definitely not awake. Wylie, who was sitting by Fitz, had to hold him back from going at the agents.

Keefe was being calmed down by Tam, and Lihn was rubbing Dexs back and whispering reassurances. Biana stood in the corner, eyes blazing, but she made no move towards them.

The cot was set down, Sophie's restraints were removed, and she was laid on the floor. The agents left and Wylie dropped his grip.

Fitz stood there, quietly staring at her. Her face was pale and her brows were furrowed in her sleep. Her mouth gave an unhappy twitch.

Fitz barely made it to her side before he collapsed. Memories flew through his brain.

He remembered how she had looked right after her kidnapping. Her skin with a translucent sheen to it, the fact that she was barely breathing, the fact that she looked dead.

He remembered what she had looked like after she had taken the pill that would reset her heart and mind. He had been so scared, scared she wouldn't come back. He had nearly had a panic attack when they started the chest compressions.

He felt warm arms pull him into a hug. He gladly accepted it, and put his head in the person's crook of their neck.

"It's gonna be okay Fitz." his sister's voice said to him. "We both know how strong Sophie is."

Part of him felt like he should cry, but he was tear dry. He wished he could cry, because once he stopped he would feel better, right?

A new voice broke the silence. "Sorry to interrupt the moment." His head whipped around to face the voice.

It came from a dark skinned man. He wore all black, and his left eye had an eye patch over it. His face was cold, impassive.

"I think we need to have a little talk."

Hello my lovely readers.

No big author note right now except for a reminder to go sign the George Floyd petition, and any other petition relating to black lives matter. Stay safe.