|Chapter 11| Fight with me

It would always be hard for anyone to forget what happened in New York that day.

The elves fought the humans vigorously, pouring every ounce of strength they had into winning. Winning meant they got to go home, winning meant they were free. At first, it seemed like they would win.

But the humans soon had an upper hand. There were at least three humans for every elf, and they were armed with guns. They weren't set back by guilt, and they had a rigor that the elves couldn't hope to match.

The battle was a blur of dodging, throwing, and yells. Everyone was hyper focused on their movement, until the first shot of the battle rang out.

Everyone, human and elf alike, turned to the sound to see a gruesome sight. A human agent had a gun pointed at one of the elves, and worse still, it was smoking at the end.

The elf was grasping at their stomach, face aghast and pale. They stumbled back a few steps before collapsing to the floor.

"WYLIE!" came Lihns shriek. Everyone turned to face the hydrokinetic, whose face was burning in anger. Before anyone could snap themselves out of their revery, she was by Wylie's side, trying to get him to wake up.

She started to scream his name, and that was when the humans finally got their wits about them. They moved toward the two, but Lihn threw up a wall of water, blocking them from her and Wylie.

They started to slam against the barrier, using the age old tactic of brute force to tear the water down. Lihn started to sweat, her brow furrowing in concentration as they applied more and more force.

She started to pale, and her hands became shaky, which was unusual for the girl. The battle still raged around her, but Tam managed to shout for her to hold for just a bit longer; help would be there soon.

But before any of her friends could come to her aid, her eyes rolled back in her head and she collapsed to the floor. The water fell as well, splashing everyone around her.

Marella, who had been rushing to aid her friend soon found herself at the end of multiple gun barrels. Marrella, just smirked, taking on the challenge.

She started by making a wall of fire around her, but the humans were able to dose a part of it in water, creating a gap in her defences. In retaliation, she made the flames go higher, and surrounded Lihn and Wylie, who were still untouched on the floor, in her protective flame.

She, much like Lihn had not five minutes before, was starting to show the signs of a power burnout. She was paling rapidly, her hands were shaking and sweat was dripping down her brow. The sweat certainly wasn't from the heat of the flames around her.

And just like Lihn, her eyes rolled back in her head, and her flames died. All that was left were a few stray embers, and a small stubborn flame. The flame was soon stepped on, killin it instantly.

The tide of battle had changed.

The next few falls happened in short succession. Sometime during Marella's standoff, Biana had fallen to a perfectly timed jab of a sedative filled syringe in her arm. Tam had been hit on his neck and he crumpled to the floor, mere meters away from where his sister laid across their friend's blood soaked torso.

Seeing his boyfriend fall, Keefe had rushed to help him, but was tackled to the floor. The impact of his head on concrete had knocked him out instantly.

A few more minutes passed without a fall from the elves side, but they knew they weren't going to win. Dex was the next to fall though, having been sedated after being pinned to the floor.

The next few minutes were a blur for everyone involved. Sophie and Fitz, the final two elves standing, fought back to back, using throwing stars and daggers to slightly injure the humans they fought.

For their credit, the elves had taken out a large portion of the humans forces, and at this point there were only seven humans who were still fighting. The others were either injured or passed out, sometimes both.

Somehow in the chaos of the battle, Sophie found herself on the floor face to face with a gun. Shakily she took the gun, and fired a shot off into the air. As she stood, everyone turned to look at her.

She shakily raised the gun, pointing it at the redhead woman. She had deemed her the biggest threat. She saw Fitz nod his approval from where he stood, some ten meters away. She did not like that the two were barely a foot away from one another

The woman's face was cool and collected as she made her move. Her gun was now pointed straight at Fitz's heart. The barrel was pressed right up against his shirt, and as the woman turned to Sophie, the barest hint of a grin could be seen on her face.

Checkmate.