|Chapter 12| Let Me Go

They were at a standstill.

Sophie knew it. She knew that if she did anything, Fitz would be shot. Maybe she could shoot the redheaded woman with the gun and get her and Fitz home? But then. even just thinking about shooting someone made guilt explode in her heart. She knew what she needed to do.

She let the gun clatter to the floor. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Fitz flinch and back up slightly. The other woman let down her gun and put it in the holster in her belt. Sophie sighed with relief.

Before she knew what was happening, Fitz was running towards her, and he was crying out her name. She saw multiple agents reach for their guns, and she nearly screamed for Fitz to stop. But before she could get the words out, Fitz was hugging her, holding her tight. His hands were shaking, but they were rubbing small circles into her back. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, and curled herself into his arms.

They stayed like that for a few more precious moments, letting themselves ignore the world around them. But then Fitz was wrenched off her, and she fell back, landing on the concrete. What she saw made her heart rate speed up, and tears form in her eyes.

Fitz was being held back by agents, and he was struggling to get free. There was now a brown gag covering his mouth, and tears were running down his face. He looked absolutely terrified. The redhead woman came out of seemingly nowhere, and jabbed a syringe into his arm and injected the substance into it. His eyes widened, he let loose a sound that sounded like a scream mixed with a cry, and then his eyes rolled back into his head. He slumped over, only being held up by the agents, who were trying to tie his arms behind his back.

She felt arms lift her up, and she wrestled out of their grasp before they could get a good hold on her. She backed up, away from them, tripping over her feet as she rushed away. Sophie heard a scream. She wasn't sure who made it, or even if she did, but all she could see for a moment was red. She was scared, angry, and all she wanted to do was go home. She heard another scream, and all her emotions came spilling over.

The first thing she saw after that was the redheaded woman, the agents, and even some of her friends twitching and moaning in pain on the floor. Guilt pulled on her heart, so Sophie turned and fled.

She was trying to get enough momentum to teleport. She was so close, maybe five more meters and she would be good. But it seemed luck wasn't on her side, as she tripped over her own feet. The ground rushed up to meet her, and she landed with a solid thud on the concrete. She groaned as she tried to get up, eventually making it up to her hands and knees. But before she could get up any further, her arms gave out and she collapsed back to the floor.

She tried to get up, but before she could make it even ten centimetres up, she was pushed back to the floor. She felt her arms be held behind her back, and after a moment she was jerked up off the ground.

She struggled against the person holding her, but it was all in vain. She felt hot tears rushing down her face, and her vision was blurry from the tears that were spilling down her cheeks, the pain that was shooting up her arms, and the treacherous, mind numbing, fear. She heard an unfamiliar voice order for her to be gagged.

She started to struggle even more. She had started to plead, plead for them to let her go, to not gag her. She was begging them on her metaphorical hands and knees, yet they paid her no heed. She only realised when the gag was pulled over her mouth, that they had no idea what she was saying. She had been speaking in the Enlightened Language the whole time.

Ropes were tied around her wrists, and that's when she really started to struggle and cry. She was screaming and pleading still, but the gag made them sound like nonsensical mumbles. She almost swore she could hear Fintans cruel voice taunting her, asking her what she was hiding. She could feel the burns, she could hear him telling someone to make the poison that would kill her.

She felt a jab in her arm. The pain made her focus enough to see a syringe in her arm, with someone forcing the liquid to go inside her. She started to struggle but, she was already feeling woozy. Her eyes felt heavy, and everything was dulling. She was trying to keep her eyes open, but eventually the numbness took over, and she passed out.

|0|

Natasha Romanoff felt shaky.

She wasn't sure why. It could have been how Sophie Foster had screamed, or the unfamiliar words that sounded like pleads. It could have been the fear, pain, and anger that had hit her like a truck.

Whatever it was, it had managed to severely rattle the Black Widow.

Her eyes raked over the battleground in front of her. With the scorch marks from the blonde girl with braids fire, and the puddles from the water girl, with her silver tipped hair.

And she would swear she could hear the echoes of the group of young adults screams. From the water girls scream for one of her companions to wake up, to Sophie Foster's screams in another language, she would never be able to shake those sounds from her mind. She was used to screams, and the image of terror on one's face. But for some reason, seeing it on these young adults made her want to cry.

She could tell the rest of the Avengers felt the same way she did. They were all pale faced, and most were staring at the slumped figure of the final woman they had sedated. Even in her deep sleep, she was twitching and mumbling. Whimpers would escape her lips every so often.

Natasha forced herself to turn away from her, and started helping the S.H.I.E.L.D agents drag the young adults into the jets. Once all of them had been put in each jet, and restrained against the stretchers, Nathasha slumped into the passenger seat in the cockpit and passed out.

So that's like the first time I updated when I said I would. Enjoy. I have no idea when the next chapter will be out,,,but I have started writing it. But,,,,I do have two other fanfics to write chapters for. I think it would be good if I updated those as soon as possible.

See you guys (hopefully) soon! Stay safe!