03 | A Whole World Apart

P E A R L

P E A R L

I woke up with a start after having a nightmare. I hadn't gotten one in a while.

It was a Friday and I was ready to get the day over with, especially because it was movie night with my family.

What I wasn't ready for was being called to go downstairs before I even got the chance to freshen up for school.

"What am I doing here? If I wanted to be late to school, I would've slept in." Nevaeh emerged from upstairs the same time I did and we both walked to the living room where the rest of the family were.

The twins, Levi and Lorenzo, both sat next to each other with concern etched to their faces, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

Elijah stood beside the couch they sat on, his eyes glancing down at the floor. My parents looked at each other, then back at my sister and I as we stared in confusion.

"Did someone crash into the garage again, or...?" I chuckled to spark positive vibes, but no one even smiled.

"Pearl, why don't you sit down, you too Vaeh." My mother spoke softly, I listened and took a seat on an empty couch, my sister sitting beside me.

"Levi and Lorenzo," My father began, but my mother placed her hand on his knee, indicating for him to stop.

My eyes darted to the twins. Levi straightened himself up and leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees.

"Enz and I decided that we're going to go to a different University," Levi's brown eyes met mine and further confusion was created in my mind.

"That's great isn't it? I mean, if that makes you both happy, then it's good!" I spoke truthfully.

"Pearl, it's not here," Levi continued.

"We're going to Australia, University of Sydney." Lorenzo finished lazily, a disappointed tone to his voice.

Nevaeh scoffed softly, standing up.

"Australia? You're both going to live in Australia for, what? Four years?" As she spoke, her voice grew higher. "I'm not going to see you both for four years!?"

"Nev, it's okay, we'll still see them sometimes, they'll come back for Christmas and Easter and Australia has different holidays compared to us, so they'll come here to take that holiday off or something." Elijah tried to make Nevaeh feel better, but after hearing him, she groaned and ran upstairs.

Lorenzo watched her with a hurt expression on his face. Eventually, he rolled his eyes and went after her, possibly trying to reassure her that it was the best decision for the twins.

"Pearl?" Levi called my name, but I was still trying to process the information.

"I'm happy," I spoke unsurely. "I'm happy for you and Enz, even if we're gonna be a whole world apart. I mean, we'll be nineteen hours away from each other, but as long as you are both happy and comfortable with this decision, right?"