05 | A Moment Too Long

P E A R L

P E A R L

"C'mon, please!" Teagan practically begged as she unwrapped her sandwich. "It'll be so fun, you have to go."

"Yea, I don't think it's a good idea for her, Tea," Edvany played with the food in her tray as we sat at our table in the cafeteria. "And were you not at a party a few days ago?"

Teagan rolled her eyes, ignoring Edvany's statement.

"Okay, but this time will be different because there won't be alcohol. It's a school organised donation dance. Teachers will be there to supervise." She tried to be reasonable.

"You're acting like that's stopped people from bringing in drinks," Edvany rebutted.

Teagan finished a bite from her sandwich before speaking again. "We'll be with her the whole time. I'll even bring enough water bottles for the three of us. You'll be fine with that, won't you, Pearl?"

They both turned their eyes to me.

I was so unsure of not going that my indecisiveness made me not want to go.

"I don't know. It hasn't even been a full year yet," I took a deep breath before speaking again, preparing myself for the next words. "What if something goes wrong and I relapse?"

They both paused to think.

"We can't make big moves without taking baby steps first, right?" Teagan asked, her blue eyes softening as a smile reached her face.

I glanced at Edvany. Her face said it all. She knew this was a bad idea; for me to go to a fucking school donation dance.

But that's all it was.

"I really want to know how you go to all these parties and still keep your grades high," I spoke to Teagan, who chuckled in response.

"Who said I was? I'm hanging by a thread,"

"That's expected of you," Edvany brushed a few dark curls behind her ear. "Nothing new."

Teagan grabbed her empty wrappers and threw them at her. "Gee, thanks!"

"Any time."

My eyes subconsciously wandered across the cafeteria when a loud complaint bellowed from Gabriel Farah.

His friends let him rant to them as he got more passionate, and I tried to suppress a chuckle at Nicandro's attempt of grimacing.

River stood beside them, looking like he was questioning their existence.

Hickory eyes met mine, and I just paused.

Zion had already been looking at me.

I don't know what had me captivated enough to hold his gaze for a moment. A moment too long.