12 | Feels Like Home

(a/n: a child? yes

(a/n: a child? yes. hehe 😏)

P E A R L

It was only a few hours after the sun had gone down on Thursday night when my mother called me from the hospital.

Her voice was frantic, and I guessed it was Nevaeh again.

She had just finished training for basketball and I reasoned that she'd broken something again.

My mother's rushed Spanish words sprung from my speakers.

"Don't worry, mama," I got into the car with Lorenzo and Levi as I spoke to her. "Enzo and Levi are dropping me off."

"And where they going?" Her broken English answered back. She was still learning to piece English sentences together, even after decades of living here. I didn't blame her. We were all patient with her, trying to teach her the English we knew.

My mother wasn't capable of being as patient as us. She used to spring out her chanclas and  whack us with it every time she got angry.

"They still need to study for one more test before moving," I explained. "They're going to study with some friends."

"Eh, okey," She replied, rushing us to get there faster.

We were there in less than five minutes, and I thanked my brothers, ruffling their hair as I got out of the car.

Levi clicked his tongue, ready to smack my hand away, and Lorenzo death stared at me. 

"Have fun 'studying,'" I stuck my tongue out as the black car drove away, Levi rolling up his windows in boredom.

I knew they weren't actually studying. They were going to drink with a few friends before they left for another country.

They threatened to tell my parents about the tattoo I'd hidden from them if I snitched.

Turning to face the hospital, my eyes caught onto the colossal building and the glass doors in front of me.

White lights brightened the lounge behind the glass, and I was grateful not many people were in there.

I walked right past the open door, and let the receptionist tell me where Nevaeh was staying.

The hallways smelt of cleaning supplies and hospital food. I was used to it.

Having athletic siblings who were extremely competitive was a guarantee that I'd be at the hospital at least a few times every couple of months.

A few nurses walked by me, some smiling as they recognised me. I smiled back, nodding in greeting.

It didn't take me too long to navigate myself to the third level, and seeing my mother waiting outside the door was enough to haul me straight to them.