15 | A Weekend Away

present

present

P E A R L

Teagan was up my ass more than usual on Monday. Edvany watched from a small distance, giving me wary glances now and then.

She could tell something was off, and Teagan didn't know any better.

"Come on, Pearl," Teagan pestered at my ear. "You gotta tell us what's up with you."

"I'm just exhausted, Tea," I muttered, telling her half the truth.

"That's not the reason," She spoke softly, but my anger was building up and the last thing I wanted was to start an argument.

"Not now, Teagan," Edvany interrupted her.

She started walking in between us as we made out way to the last class of the day.

Teagan went quiet, and I could see the irritation on her face.

"I want her to confide in us," She spoke to Edvany before peering over her shoulder to look at me. "We're your best friends, Pearl. You can tell us anything, you know?"

I couldn't. I wasn't ready to see their reactions. Their disappointment would wreck me.

It was too much, especially after regaining my full memory of that night.

"Teagan, please just drop it," I didn't even look her in the eye.

"If you're thinking about what I think it is, you got to tell somebody," She lowered her voice.

Teagan was talking about my drinking addiction. That's all she and Edvany knew about that night.

All they knew was that the amount of alcohol I consumed almost killed me. They didn't know about the gunshot wound now scarring my shoulder.

"Teagan," Edvany scoffed. "Drop it."

There was a small pause.

Teagan shook her head, looking at both of us in disbelief.

"I'm just worried," She stopped in her spot, making Edvany do the same.

I sighed, turning back to them.

"You two don't seem to be feeling that either, and it's kinda scaring the shit out of me," Teagan furrowed her eyebrows, her face etched with concern.

Edvany stayed quiet. She didn't want to say the wrong things.

"I get it," I said firmly, stepping forward. "I understand that you think something's going on, but I'm fine."

"You're making that seem hard to believe," The brims of her eyes began to redden.

Before my drinking addiction got worse, she was the one I let my anger out on the most. I guessed the way we were acting now was triggering those memories.