Chapter 5

Mia's POV

I dashed from the room, away from the blinking lights of cell phone cameras, crying uncontrollably. I didn't think to grab my bag or to call my parents, I just needed to get home as soon as possible.

I grip my gate fob on my lanyard tightly, forcing my legs to continue moving, as my panic attack causes them to stiffen.

Racquelle has just made a very big mistake, revealing the secret to everyone, and judging by all the phones, it will be on Facebook before the day is out. I make it just out of the gate before I collapse.

The pavement is wet and the water soaks through the knees of my trousers, but I feel numb.

"Mia!" I look up and see Rachel behind the gate; she's holding my bag. "If you are going home, you will want this."

I use the railings to pull myself to my feet and take my bag gratefully. I take my phone and call my Mum.

"Hello, Mia? I thought you were in school?"

"Can you pick me up, it's an emergency!" I sob, and she hears me crying.

"Okay, I'll be right there!" she answers, before she hangs up the call.

I lean against the railings as I wait, taking deep breaths to calm down. My tears finally stop falling as my mum's car draws up outside school. She takes one look at my tear-stained face, before saying, "What happened?"

"It's hard to explain, let's get home first," I reply, opening the passenger door and dropping onto the seat. I forget to cover my Mark. Mum takes a hold of my hand and looks at it closely. "I'm so sorry! I shouldn't draw on my hand, I'll wash it off as soon as I get home!" I panic again, trying to hide the truth from my mum. But she smiles at me.

"Calm down, Mia. I know what this is," she tells me, and I look at her in shock, how would she know? Unless Dad told her. "So, is it Kevin, who we met a couple of months ago?" I nod my head. "I'll explain when we get back," she tells me, as she starts to drive home.

"Who do you play?" she asks, breaking the silence. I meet my mum's hazel eyes and answer her.

"Vocaloid: Meiko, Fanloid: Sakine Meiko." I lean my head against the window. 'How far will that news spread?' I wonder, as I watch the scenery go past.

We don't talk further until we get home. Mum holds my shoulders to reassure me and we walk inside. I drop my bag and travel to the living room, where Dad is watching TV.

"What happened, Mia?" he asked, as he looked at me sympathetically. I hold up my hand to show my Mark, and his eyes lit up in realisation. "Troubles with your Soulmate?!"

"No, Dad. Exposed, Vocaloid Actors have been exposed!" I shout as I sink to the floor. "Also, please explain why Mum knows about Vocaloid Actors in the first place!"

Dad slips up his sleeve and shows me the same Mark. Except the letters are UL and the colours are green and yellow. Yellow is Mum's favourite colour...

"You and Mum are Soulmates?!" I say in shock. He nodded.

"I couldn't hide this mark from her for too long. So, I told her everything. Apparently, an exception to the 'Keep this a secret' rule is for soulmates," he explained, pulling his sleeve down again.

"Yeah, well one Vocaloid Actor thought that rule didn't apply to them, so they exposed the whole community to sixth form," I explained, not revealing names. I took hold of my hair that fell forwards and began to mess with it as I relive the memory. I will make Racquelle pay for what she did.