Chapter 8

"Come on! Let's go!" Ini yelled as soon as she heard the bell and grabbed my hand. "My adoptive mother picks me up and I can ask her to get us home!"

I send a quick Mind-Message to Rachel as I laughed at Ini's hyperactive personality.

Me: 'Ini is meeting our parents tonight, and apparently her adoptive mother is taking us home! Sorry!'

Rachel: 'Don't worry about it! I'll walk back with Louis, now the rain has stopped!'

I run after Ini as she maintains a strong grip on my hand. She's the same height as me, as well. I keep noticing the similarities. When I look at her face, it is like looking into a mirror. She has already dragged me out past the gate at this point. She is running down to the busy road next to our school. Suddenly, she stops, and I almost crash into her. Again. She is standing next to a blue car and looking into the driver's side window.

"Mum! Guess who I found today!" Her mum rolls down her window and I can see her clearly. She has short blond hair, a snowflake hairclip snapped over it. She has icy-blue eyes, close to white. Ini pulls me into her view, and her mouth drops open as her eyes look me from top to bottom.

"Your twin?!" she says, surprised as she looks from me to Ini. Looking at the similarities, I guess. "I'm so glad Ini finally gets to meet you, Mia!"

"Do you know my name through -?" I ask, before Ini cuts me off.

"No! She has known since she has adopted me, it was in my file!" she explains, rather loudly. She reaches into her bag and hands me a note:

'Ini Gale has got an identical twin sister called Mia Gale. Please give her the heart barrette when she turns five. Tell her we will always love her! ~ Mandy & Hugh Gale'

I feel tears fell up in my eyes. Considering how Ini has been carrying this all her life, she must really love our parents, even if she hasn't met them. And how much my parents have loved her, considering the barrette. 'Why did they never tell me?' The tears begin to fall, and I give Ini the note back, so my tears don't splatter upon it.

"Can you take Mia home? She wants to take me to see my real parents!" Ini asked, and her Mum shakes her head. "What?! Mum, please!"

"No, Ini! We moved here today! You don't know your way around this town yet! I want you to stay close to home!"

"She lives on the same street as us! We're at 60 and she's at 31, just across the street!" Ini looked straight into her Mum's eyes, pleading with her.

"Alright, but I want her back by 6pm," she tells me and beckons to me to get in the car. I open the door and Ini slides in to sit behind the passenger seat, while I sit behind the driver's seat.

I look down at my bag for most of the journey, occasionally looking towards Ini. I have to constantly remind myself that I am not looking in a mirror. She smiles at me every time I look at her, before she goes back to looking out of the window.

We drive up to the street, and I slip out first. And wait for Ini at the gate. She follows me. "Hey, Ini, give me your heart barrette! I have an idea!" She gives it to me, and I hold it gently. I open the door and she follows me inside. I tell her to stay in the hallway. I enter the living room. "Hey, Mum, Dad!"

"Hey, Mia!" Mum said from her couch. Her eyes are glued to her laptop. "Have a good day at school?"

"Great, I met someone you'll want to see," I said, rocking on my heels.

"This isn't another soulmate, right?" Mum said, before she laughed. I shook my head, as I also laughed. "Well, who is it?"

"Someone more important, and you already know them, to be honest," I explain, before I extend my hand, revealing the barrette. "Mum, please look!" She finally tears her eyes away from her laptop and Dad looks up from across the room, straining his eyes to try and see what I was holding.