18 | Wake Up Call

P E A R L

P E A R L

"It's about damn time, babe," Edvany hugged me from the side when I told her I was going to approach Teagan.

Teagan had been rotating from River to Adara, sitting with them after she decided to give me some space.

It was Monday, a whole week since we've spoken to each other. I missed her so much, but she didn't need to know that.

All she needed to know is what happened the night of the campfire. I was going to tell both my best friends and my hands were clamping from the thought of me opening up.

I chuckled dryly, my eyes zeroed in on Teagan talking to River.

His eyes were intent on watching her talk. Dark eyebrows drew together slightly, trying to understand Teagan's moving mouth. He crossed his arms and shifted his weight to another leg.

Teagan spoke to him at ease, her eyes never leaving his brown ones as she held her head up with confidence.

I guessed their relationship had grown since the last time I spoke to her.

If she was happy with that, then so was I. As long as he didn't hurt her.

"I don't see you moving," Edvany nudged my shoulder, making me take a step forward into the cafeteria.

I heaved a deep breath, trying to deprive my nerves.

"She misses you too, you know," Edvany comforted me, walking beside me as we made our way to Teagan.

I prayed she wouldn't walk away from me.

The closer we got to her, the more distinct her conversation was.

"And it's so crazy to think how they grow up so fast,"

My steps were slower at the sound of her words.

"The years go by so fast-"

I wondered if he told her about his child.

River's eyes snapped to me when I was close enough. They narrowed, making Teagan stop speaking instantly.

I narrowed my eyes back at him, holding back a scowl.

Did he always have a stick up his ass or something?

"Hey, River," Edvany's sweet voice greeted him politely.

River's jaw ticked before turning his attention to Edvany, his expression softening in the slightest.

"Hi,"

"Wow, such a way with words," I mumbled under my breath.

I didn't regret speaking louder than expected because I caught Teagan rolling her lips into her mouth, holding back a smile.