Year One | 1

Rey's Point Of View

I walked into the library with my friends, Poe, Finn, Rose and her big sister Paige. Poe and Paige are both seventeen, two years older than Finn, Rose and I. Now that Poe has his driver's license we get to go to the library more often, I'm just glad he doesn't mind taking us. I love to read, books are an escape. In books girls like me... orphans, have great adventures, lost parents who are royalty or they fall in love with a prince. But not in real life... in real life girls like me don't have happy endings. At least I have my friends...

... Poe is like a protective, yet teasing older brother. Paige is like the big sister who always listens when something's troubling me. Rose is the best friend who always has good advice, she's comforting just to be around. And Finn... Finn's the best. He's the friend who always knows how to cheer me up and make me laugh. I'm grateful for them, they're the closest thing to a family I've ever had... ever will have.

I need to stop thinking with such negative thoughts. I need a good book to read. As I walked between the bookshelves, searching for something to read, the new books table caught my eye. I went over to the table, most of the books weren't the kind of books I like to read: science fiction and fantasy, but one book caught my attention: "The Starlight Chronicles Book 1: The Phantom." The title sounded promising, and the cover showed a beautiful painting of a young boy, a princess, and two warriors, one young, one older and bearded. I grabbed the book and silently read the description on the back:

Anakin was just a slave living on a desert planet in a remote part of the galaxy... but he was the chosen one nonetheless. His life would change forever when he meets two Jedi Knights and a beautiful young Queen from a nearby planet.

Though he came from nothing... the fate of the galaxy may rest in his hands.

There were few words on the back of the book, but they sparked my interest and captivated me. Perhaps it was because I saw so much of myself in the young boy who was the hero of the story or maybe it was because I wanted to be pulled into another galaxy far away so that I could forget that my world existed... that my parents didn't want me. I'm the only one at the orphanage... the other children's parents didn't choose to leave them. They died, but they would have stayed if they could. My parents just didn't want me, they abandoned me because they didn't love me...

...No. Rey... stop. You know that isn't true, they loved you, they'll come back... one day. I tell myself.

I take the book and place it on the counter. The librarian smiles at me as I pull out my library card and place it on the counter next to the book. She handed the book back to me. "Bring it back two weeks from today."

"I will," I smiled at her, then I took the book to the table where my friends were sitting. I sat down in the empty chair between Finn and Poe, then I opened the book and began reading.

The first few words pulled me into the story immediately: "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...."

"Rey!" Finn's voice pulled me out of the story. "Earth to Rey!"

"What?" I asked, a bit annoyed.

"New book?"

I nodded. "It was just printed a week ago."

"Is it any good?" he asked.

"It was... until you interrupted me."

"Sorry."

"It's okay, do you want to see if they have another copy?" I offered.

"Rey, you know how I feel about new books. I don't want to waste my time reading anything unless it's good. So you have to read it first and tell me how it is. If you say that it's really good... then I'll read it."

I nodded. "It's good so far."

"So, is everyone ready?" Poe asked.

"I am," said Finn.

"Me too," Rose agreed.

"What about you, Rey?" Paige says, pulling me from my daydreams about the far far away galaxy of the new book.

"Um... yes," I replied hesitantly. I closed the book to prevent myself from getting distracted again.

"That's good, Because I saved enough money from my after school job to buy ice cream for everyone," said Poe.

"Really?" I asked excitedly.

He nodded.

"Let's go!" said Finn.

We all stand up, then walk out of the library together.