Year Two| 24

Ben's Point Of View

I felt whole now that we were together. I squeezed her a little tighter, wanting to make sure that she was really here and I wasn't just dreaming it.

I couldn't believe that she actually kissed me. I don't know why, but I didn't think that she would want to. I didn't know how wonderful a kiss would feel, it felt like magic and I wanted to kiss her again. But I wasn't sure if I should, I didn't really know how the whole dating thing worked since I'd never done it.

If I was completely honest with myself, I wasn't really "dating" her, it was more like I was courting her. I think I've read too many medieval-time books, but there is a difference. Dating is like trying on a shoe to see if it fits and courtship means that you already know that you love someone and you're spending time with them, getting to know them because you want to marry them.

It's an old fashioned idea, one that's been forgotten, but that's how I feel about her. I'm not trying to see if she's "a good fit" because I already know I belong with her. But I don't want to tell her that, not yet it would be too much so soon, and I want to take this slow and enjoy every moment of it.

She looked up at me again, her brow furrowed. "Why did you say those things about your book...about yourself? I wanted to punch you a few moments ago for talking about my Ben that way."

I resisted the urge to smile when she said "my Ben" because I was afraid that she would think that I was laughing at her, or worse that I had done the whole thing on purpose, which I hadn't. If I had known it was her I wouldn't have said those things, and I would have told her who I was. "Because it's true, I wrote Rewrite The Stars for you, but it wasn't good enough...not for you."

"Ben, it couldn't have been any better, it's my favorite book," she said.

"I'm sorry Rey," I said.

She smiled slightly. "It's okay Ben," she ran her fingers through my hair. "You always underestimate yourself."

I looked down, I guess she's right, but it's hard not to doubt yourself when everyone else always doubts you.

She lifted my chin so that my eyes would meet hers. "You don't know how wonderful you are."

I couldn't help but give her a small affectionate smile. "Thank you Rey."

Every since I started writing her, I thought of so many things that I wanted to say if I ever saw her face to face, but now that she's here I can't remember any of them.

"Can you read to me?" she asked, and I realized that I've been standing here staring at her without saying anything for several moments. She held up the copy of Beren and Luthien that she checked out the other day.

I smiled at her, taking the book. "Of course."

She smiled in return and reached over to take my hand. I followed as she led me to a couch.

Once we were both seated, she leaned her head on my shoulder and I felt my heart freeze, before it began hammering so loud that I was sure that she could hear it. I swallowed hard, wrapping my arm around her. Then I began to read to her quietly.

I had read two chapters when I heard a familiar voice calling Rey's name in a whisper. Rey sat up, looking around. Just then Miss Holdo came around the corner.

"Rey I just wanted to tell you that...." she trailed off as she noticed me sitting there. She smiled at me. "Hi Ben."

"Hi, Miss Holdo," I replied.

She was almost smirking now. "I see you couldn't wait for tomorrow."

"I actually came to donate a few copies of my book to the library, I didn't recognize Rey until I noticed that she was wearing the necklace that I sent her."

She smiled. "Well I'm glad that you're finally together. I came to tell Rey that we have to go, but I'll give you two a few more minutes."

"Thank you, Miss Holdo," Rey said.

She nodded, turning to leave.

"I wish that I didn't have to leave," she said.

I smiled at her and gently took her hand. "Me too, but I'm going to come see you tomorrow night."

She nodded. "I can't wait that long to see you again."

"You won't have to, you can see me in your dreams." I lifted her hand to my lips and kissed it softly. "Goodbye, Rey."

"Goodbye," she whispered, kissing my cheek before she stood up and walked away slowly. As she left she kept looking back at me and I knew that she didn't want to leave.

I sat there for several moments after she was gone, reliving everything. Seeing her for the first time, the kiss she'd given me, it was all so wonderful, it almost didn't even seem real. It felt like a dream, the most wonderful dream of my life.