Year One | 8

Ben's Point Of View

I opened the mailbox to find another letter from Rey, I went to my room and opened it.

~💌~

Dear Ben,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the book and the letter.

Please don't give up, don't listen to the publishers. The Starlight Chronicles is an amazing book, I convinced one of my friends to read it and he loves it so far. I know you feel that no one likes your book and in truth... I am no one, but I do love your book. It helped me escape the pain of life, from the pain of the truth that my parents abandoned me, that they didn't want me, for a few wonderful hours I was able to forget it all. I would give anything to live in the world you described.

You may not be "good enough" for everyone else but you are good enough for me... beyond good enough, I've read many books and being good isn't enough to make me choose you as my favorite author, I chose you as my favorite author because you're not just good, you're wonderful.

And about Anakin and Padme, don't worry, I can keep a secret. Besides I knew it all along.

Sincerely Rey

~💌~

I felt a strange feeling as I read the words, no one had ever tried to encourage me in all of my life and I wondered if this was what encouragement felt like. Did she really think that I was not only good enough, but wonderful?

I reread the letter wanting to enjoy it once more, and felt a strange sting behind my eyes as I read about her parents abandoning her, I knew a little of how that felt.

Rey's Point Of View

I was glad to receive a reply from, Ben. I was trying to make him feel better, to encourage him but I'm not sure if it worked.

I opened the letter, eager to read it.

~💌~

Dear Rey,

Why would you say that you're no one? I know that's not true.

You said that you were able to escape into the world of my book... that's why I wrote it, so that I could escape. I'm just glad that you were able to escape too. If only it were real, then we would never have to leave.

Rey, at times I feel that I can do nothing right, but you've given me hope. So, I will continue the series for you, it doesn't matter if no one else reads it, if you like it that's all that matters. Know that I am doing for you.

You said, that you were abandoned by your parents, I know a little of how that feels, my parents sent me to boarding school and they never had time to visit or to let me stay with them. When I finally finished school, I went home hoping that we would finally be together as family. But they sent me away to live with my uncle in the country, they thought I would be happier staying with someone who could spend time with me all day, but my uncle is very distant and depressed because his wife died. He hasn't gone to work since. He's here with me all the time, but it's almost like he's not here, I've tried to reach out to him but he barely responds.

Sincerely Ben

~💌~

He feels abandoned by his family too? It isn't quite the same, but if I were in his place I would probably feel the same. Perhaps he would understand more than everyone else, all the time I've spent just wishing that my parents would come back for me, he undoubtedly felt the same while he was in boarding school.