Year One | 2

Rey's Point Of View

Poe drove to our favorite ice cream shop, just a block away from the library. We all hopped out of the old run down car, it was Poe's most prized possession. We made our way into the ice cream shop and went up to the counter to order our treats.

"Okay, I'm getting a root beer float, what does everyone else want?" Poe asked.

"Finn, do you want to split a super sized ice cream bowl?" Rose asked.

He nodded. "Which flavors of ice cream should we get?"

"Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry?" she suggested.

"My favorite," he answered.

"I want a banana split," said Paige.

"What about you, Rey?" Poe asked me.

I thought for a moment. "Can I have a cookie dough smoothie?"

"Whatever you want," he answered. Then he paid for their order.

"I'll bring it to you shortly," said the waitress.

"Thanks," Poe smiled. Then we found an empty table in the corner and sat down.

Rose and Paige sat beside each other as always. Rose was so lucky to have a big sister, at least I have my friends, they're almost like siblings to me. Especially Finn, I always wanted a brother, and he's the closest thing I've ever had to one. Of course he is sitting next to Rose, they've been spending a lot of time together lately, I know they have a crush on each other... everyone knows it but no one has been able to get them to admit it. I'll get Finn to speak up one day, he can't keep anything from me.

The waitress comes and sets our ice cream in front of us.

"Thank you," Poe told her.

She smiled and walked away, then we all dug in.

"This is delicious," said Paige. "Thanks for doing this, Poe."

"Don't mention it, you guys are all I have now that my mother's gone," he absentmindedly played with the chain around his neck. The chain held his mother's wedding ring.

The other's nodded, we all know how he feels. But all I can do is stare at my milkshake, stirring it with my straw. Sometimes I don't know how to feel, my parents might still be alive, I didn't lose them because of death like the others, and perhaps that should make me feel better, but it doesn't because I feel like they didn't love me, like they didn't care enough about me. Yet there's a spark of hope in my heart that they'll come back. I have fed that spark of hope, until it became a raging fire. I refuse to believe that they won't come back. Every time I blow out the candles on my birthday cake, or see a falling star, or throw a coin into a wishing well I wish for my parents to come back.

"We'll always be here for each other, we may not share each other's blood but we're family," said Paige.

I nodded, feeling a bit better because of her words.

Author's note: Sorry that the reylo part of this story hasn't started yet, it's going to happen a bit later in this story than most of my fan fictions, but I promise it won't be too long
~ LadyArwenEvenStar