Year Two |13

Rey's Point Of View

I groaned slightly as I sat in the waiting room of a doctor's office. I can't believe I'm stuck here waiting to get a test when I could have gotten to meet Ben instead. Wishing that he was here, I took out Rewrite The Stars and began to read it, reading his books always makes me feel like he's with me.

~Later~

I sat silently in the passenger's seat while Miss Holdo drove.

"I'm sorry that you had to come here today instead of going to the book signing," she told me.

I nodded. "It's alright, Miss Holdo. Maybe there will be another one."

I sighed.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I don't understand, my parents left me. They didn't come back and now that I'm almost an adult, they want to come back for me."

"I don't understand it either, they said they lost their daughter and that they've been looking for her. Maybe they tried."

I nodded.

~Two Days Later~

I sat in the living room floor, playing Dominion with Finn, Rose, Poe and Paige. It's my favorite card game ever.

It was Poe's turn, he rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he examined his cards.

Miss Holdo came into the room, she didn't look happy. She looked over at me, I hoped that I wasn't in trouble. I finished my homework and I did all of chores, I tried to think of what I'd done.

"Rey, please come to my office," she said.

I exchanged a concerned glance with each of my friends then went over to follow Miss Holdo to her office.

"Sit down Rey," she said, gesturing to the empty chair.

I sat down. "What did I do?" I asked as she sat down in her own chair.

"Nothing dear," she replied. "It's about your test results."

I looked at her expectantly, feeling a mixture of fear and excitement.

"It came back negative, they're not your parents."

I felt a slight pain in my chest, I don't know why I'm surprised. I remember my parents leaving, they chose to leave me, they could have found me if they wanted to.

Tears stung my eyes. "Thank you, Miss Holdo," I said, turning to leave.

"Rey wait," she said.

I stopped and she came over to me, pulling me into a hug. After a moment she pulled away, looking into my eyes, I tried to hide the tears that glistened in them.

"Maybe this will cheer you up," she said, handing me an envelope. "A letter from your favorite author."

I smiled. "Thank you."

Then I turned to leave.

I came back into the living room, trying to act like nothing had happened, but Finn could tell that something was bothering me.

He stood up and came over to me, pulling me into the kitchen so that we could talk alone.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"The test results came back, they're not my parents," I told him, trying not to cry.

He pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry Rey, and I shouldn't say this because it's selfish, but I'm glad that they weren't. You're my family and I don't want to lose you."

I smiled at him, he was right. If they were my family, I would've lost my true family, the ones who's blood I didn't share, but who loved me and who I love.

"Thank you, Finn," I said.

He smiled. "Do you want to come back to the living room?"

I nodded. "I'll finish the game, then I have to go to my room."

"It's okay if you need some time alone," he said.

"No, I just wanted to read this letter..." I held up the letter from Ben. "...and write a reply."

"Oh," he said winking.

I shook my head, then we both went to the living room.

After we finished the game, I went to my room and opened the letter from Ben as I sat down on my bed.

~💌~

Dear Rey,

You're good at writing letters and I'm sure that you would be good at writing stories too.

You may not believe me, but writing a book with you would be the best thing ever for me too.

Rey, there's something that I have to tell you, it's not easy to say...or write, I've never done anything like this before. I know I've never met you in person, but you're the most wonderful person I know. Writing you makes me feel happier than anything, you make my life beautiful and wonderful.

I know it might seem odd because I've never seen you, I've never heard your voice, but I know you from your letters and I'm beginning to have feelings for you. Rey, I love you, I just want to tell you that. My uncle said that he regretted the things he didn't say to his wife before she died. I just don't want to regret not telling you how I feel about you, I don't want to live with the guilt that I didn't tell the only person I've ever been in love with the truth.

It's okay if you don't feel the same way about me, I don't want you to feel obligated to say that you do. I will love you either way, and I just wanted you to know.

With all of my love, Ben

~💌~

I felt my heart freeze, I've had a crush on him for a little while, but I didn't think it was possible for him to feel the same. I thought that I was foolish for having what I had considered to be a childish crush on my favorite author. I had tried to hide my feelings even from myself because I never imagined that he could possibly feel the same. I told myself that my feelings for him were nothing but a fantasy. But if he loves me, then it's possible that the things I feel for him are more than a fantasized crush, maybe it's something real. Maybe it's love.

I don't know what to do, should I say that I love him too, when I'm not sure, or should I say that I don't love him even though I know that's not true?

I shouldn't do this, I should make this decision on my own, but I decide to talk to Finn about it. He's my best friend, and I need someone to talk to.