Year Two | 15

Ben's Point Of View

Once I had overcome my emotions and the shock that Rey actually loved me, I went inside to tell my uncle. If I don't he'll probably just sneak into my room while I'm asleep to read the letter, besides it was his idea.

As I walked through the door, my uncle noticed the opened letter in my hand.

"What did she say?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but he interrupted before I got the chance.

"She doesn't feel the same?" he asked, seeming to notice how moist my eyes were.

"No..." I blushed. "She said that she loves me too, she was just afraid to admit it."

"Happy tears, then. Well it's a good thing that I stepped in otherwise you two would have grown old writing letters of friendship to each other and never admitted that you were secretly in love with each other all along."

"I would have told her eventually, uncle," I replied.

He looked at me doubtfully.

"I should go reply to this letter," I continued, changing the subject. Or more accurately, ending the conversation before my uncle came up with anything else.

Rey's Point Of View

I sat at my desk reading the letter I just received from Ben.

~💌~

My dearest Rey,

The book signing was okay, better than what I feared. I don't like crowds or meeting new people, but I did enjoy talking to a few kids who read my book, they ask the cutest questions. But I missed you, I wish that you could have come, even though my uncle probably would have done something embarrassing.

You brighten up my life too, you're like a Rey of sunshine after the darkest, coldest night.

I'm sorry about your parents, I wish I could have been there for you. I would have given you a hug to make you feel better and held your hand so that you would know that someone was there for you.

When you told me that, I wanted to tell you the truth, that you are in my heart and you always will be. I was just too nervous to admit it to you or even myself how much I care about you, but now that I've told you I feel better. It makes me feel even closer to you.

Rey, I will never leave you, I promise. Even though we're apart, I'm with you and that's the way it will always be. Distance can't come between us. But if I ever get to see you face to face, I promise I won't let you go.

I love you with all of my heart.

Love, Ben

~💌~

I smiled affectionately, he's so sweet and romantic. I sighed imagining him hugging me to make me feel better.

I wrote a reply and sealed it with a kiss, then I began working on typing my Starlight Chronicles fan fiction into my computer so that I can post it on Wattpad.

I was starting on the second chapter when Finn bursted into the room. "Rey you have got to come see this!"

"What is it?" I asked absentmindedly as I continued typing.

"Just come see," he answered.

I stood up and followed him into the living room to see Poe holding a puppy, a little beagle.

"Aww, he's so cute," I said.

"Isn't he precious?" Paige agreed, gently scrubbing his ears.

I nodded.

"Where did you get him, Poe?" Rose asked.

"My boss's dog had puppies, he was giving them away today," Poe explained.

"What's his name?" I asked.

"I was thinking about calling him buddy," he answered. "What do you think, Paige?"

She smiled. "I like it."

"Does Miss Holdo know?" I asked, remembering her rule about pets.

"Unfortunately no, but hopefully I can convince her to let me keep him just for a few months, until I start college, then I'm getting an apartment and he can come with me."

"I'm going to miss you," said Finn. "Once you leave I'll be stuck here with a bunch of girls."

"I can think of worse predicaments, buddy," Poe answered. "Besides you guys can't get rid of me that easily, I'll still come to visit and I'll pick you up to take you to the movies just like old times."

"What about you, Paige?" I asked.

"I'm going to ask Miss Holdo if I can stay here for one more year until Rose graduates too, then maybe we can get an appointment or something together," she answered.

"I think she would, she let you and Poe stay after you graduate, besides we're the only ones here," I said.

While we were all playing with buddy, Miss Holdo walked in. "What's a dog doing here?"

Poe held him up so that she could see how cute he was. "Well the sign says that no orphans will be turned away, you're not going to turn poor little buddy away, are you?"

Miss Holdo sighed.

"It's just until I move out," Poe continued.

"Fine, but you have to take care of him and clean up after him," she said."

"I will, I promise," he answered.