Year Two | 8

Ben's Point Of View

I went into my parent's building, they had arranged a meeting to help get more sponsors for the Nimma Orphanage, and I decided to come, since I intend to donate a portion of my book's proceeds to the orphanage and have a fundraiser at Leona's bookstore, I decided to come.

As I enter the building, a man sitting at the long desk beckons me over. "Did you come for the intern interview?"

"No," I answered.

"Then why are you here kid?"

"I came for a meeting," I replied.

He looked down at my black t-shirt and black jeans, as if my lack of formal dress was proof that I was lying.

"What meeting?"

"The meeting for the sponsors of Nimma Orphanage," I answered growing impatient, I didn't think I would have to go through an interrogation to get into my own parents building.

He looked at me as if the fact that I was just twenty one, wearing casual clothes meant that I didn't have enough money to become a sponsor.

"Listen kid if you want to make a donation, you can make it here," he answered.

"I would be glad to, but I drove a long way to get here and I want to see my mom," I answered.

"Your mom?" he questioned.

"Leia Solo," I replied.

A look of shock appeared on the man's face. "Oh...my apologies sir..." he began typing something on his computer. "The meeting is being held on the fifth floor."

"Thank you," I replied, then I went into the elevator and pressed the five on the panel.

Moments later the doors slid open and I stepped into a conference room with a long table, with chairs on either side.

There were several wealthy-looking people in the room, but my attention was focused on my parents at the head of the table, especially my mom.

She stood up and looked at me, surprised. "Ben?"

"Hi mom," I answered. I went towards her and she came to meet me, pulling me into a hug.

I hugged her tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," she answered. "We'll catch up with you at lunch."

"Actually, I wanted to come to the meeting, I want to become a sponsor. I have money."

Leia looked up and smiled at him. "Sit down," she gestured to an empty chair and I sat down.

"I want to donate 20% of the profits from my books to your orphanage," I told Miss Holdo, the caretaker of the orphanage.

"Thank you," she smiled.

"And I want to have a fundraiser at my book signing," I continued.

My dad smiled at me.

Rey's Point Of View

~The Next Day~

Miss Holdo came back at around four in the afternoon, and we had cleaned up the living room so she was completely oblivious to our all night movie marathon.

"Miss Holdo, I need to speak with you," I told her.

She smiled. "I need to speak with you too, why don't you come with me to my office so we can talk?"

I nodded, following her into her office, wondering what she wanted to talk to me about.

She gestured at the empty chair in front of her desk and I sat down, a little nervous. She sat down across from me, she seemed happy so I must not be in trouble.

"Why don't you go first?" she offered, smiling at me.

"You remember Ben Solo, my favorite author?"

"Yes," she replied. "He's Han and Leia Solo's son, the founders of this orphanage."

"What?" I asked surprised. I knew that his last name was Solo, but I thought that it was just a coincidence. "Have you met him?"

She nodded. "I met him when he was a little boy, he was always quiet and at the time he was shy and liked to hide behind his mother. But I saw him just yesterday, he was among the new sponsors. He's certainly grown a lot since the last time I saw him."

I couldn't believe this, if I had known that Ben was going to be at the meeting I would have asked Miss Holdo to let me come with her, not that she would have agreed.

"Well, he's going to have a book signing in a few weeks and he wants me to come," I continued.

Her face fell. "I would let you go, but..."

"But?" I asked, pressing her to continue.

"There's a possibility that we found your family, I'm supposed to take you to meet them in a few weeks."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"I received a letter from a couple who lost a daughter when she was a baby, she would be sixteen, the same age as you."

"But... how? I was abandoned, you didn't even know my name." My whole life I'd wanted nothing more than for my family to come back for me, but now I'm not sure if I want it anymore. What about Finn, Rose, Paige and Poe? What about Miss Holdo? They're my family, they've always been here for me. What about Ben? Would they let me keep writing him?

"I have requested a DNA test to see if you really are their daughter."

"But I don't want to leave," I answered. "I want to stay here with you and Finn and Poe and Rose and Paige."

She looked at me with mixed emotions on her face. "Rey, I know how much you care about all of us, but I know how much you've always wanted to find your family. That dream is about to come true."

I nodded, feeling both happy and sad at the same time.