Chapter Nineteen

When we parted, before she could say anything, we heard her father calling her. She let go of me and climbed back through her window. She turned to close her window but before she did she stuck her head back out between the curtains, "See you tomorrow, Nialler," she whispered with a smile and then she ducked back in and closed her window.

I nearly jumped across the street from excitement and amazement that I had finally done it. I barely slept that night I was so happy. I did manage to sleep some and when I awoke the next day, I quickly threw on some clothes and was halfway out the door when I heard my dad yell for me to remember we were leaving to go visit his family in just a few minutes. Shit, I had forgotten.

"Okay, I need to go tell Siobhan something though," I shouted.

"Well, that's going to have to wait. You know that your Aunt likes us to be promptly on time."

"But dad, I need to say something to her. It'll only be a minute, I swear," I whined.

"Son, whatever it is can hold off for a few hours."

"No, it can't!"

My dad looked at me but shook his head no. I sighed as I made my way to the car, looking at her house but seeing no sign of life. I slouched into the seat and pouted all the way there.

That day was probably the longest day of my life! My Aunt refused to let us leave. She was so excited for me and wanted to spend the entire time pinching my cheeks and wishing me luck. She fed us breakfast, lunch, and an early dinner. Like, what the hell?! I had things to do. People to see. I didn't know where we stood after last night but since she didn't slap me or push me away from her or do anything that would indicate that she was not happy with what I did, I felt confidant and wanted to get back to it!

After the entire fucking day had gone by, my dad and I finally climbed back into the car to head home. And, of course, it felt like he was going at a snail's pace. Jesus! Get me home!

"Dad, could you go a little faster, please?" I whined.

"I'm going as fast as I want to go. What's gotten into ya? You've been bah humbugging it all day."

"I just have something really important to do," I replied.

"Like what?"

"Just something, okay. Geez!"

My dad just nodded his head and remained silent for the rest of the ride home. When we got there, I don't even think the car had fully come to a stop before I got out of it. I could see Siobhan and her dad on their front porch. I looked at her a moment and she looked at me.

"Niall!" her dad shouted across the street.

'Uh oh,' I thought as I made my way over there with my dad right behind me.

"Niall, my son, congratulations on getting on that show," he said as he got up to shake my hand and give me a hug. "Siobhan told me all about it. I wish she had been able to audition. She's got the best voice in the entire world." Her dad proudly said as he looked at her. "Maybe next time, eh?"

"I tried to get her to come with me, sir," I said as I tried to look at her but he gave me another hug.

"I know. She had things to help me out with here, though. But I'm happy for ya and you know we're in your corner." He slapped me on the back before he went to talk to my dad.

I finally got to lay my eyes on Siobhan and she smiled at me and without saying a word moved her eyes and head in the direction of the river. I understood. We just needed to ditch the fathers.

"Dad, can Niall and I go down to the river?" Siobhan asked.

He hardly looked back at her when he said, "Of course. Just be home at a decent time, sweetie."

We started to walk off but my dad halted us, "Hold on, Niall. Help me unload the car and then you can go."

'Damnit, dad!' I thought but I decided protesting would be useless. I quickly unloaded the car and once I was out of their sight, ran full speed to our spot by the river. She was there, sitting on a blanket, reading a book. I rustled some rocks so she would hear me coming and not scare her. She turned around and looked at me. She quickly tossed her book to the side and stood up.

I walked up to her and we stood there, a foot or so away from each other but neither of us said anything. She fiddled with her fingers while I rocked back and forth.

"Hey," I said, smile on my face.

"Hey," she said back, blushing.

"I wanted to come by first thing this morning but, uh, my dad made me go see my Aunt."

She nodded her head. We then went back to be silent. After another minute or so, she said, "I officially broke up with Devon today. Er, well, let him know that I didn't forgive him and would not be giving him another chance."

She looked at me for confirmation that that was the right thing to do. I just grinned like I was the Cheshire cat. She started to wring her hand through her shirt. Neither of us able to fully look at the other but also unable to stop looking in the other's direction. She was wearing a white tee and cut off jean shorts; her hair was down, falling to her waist. She was gorgeous and adorable.

"Niall," she whispered, stepping closer to me.

"Siobhan," I said, stepping closer to her.

She brought her hands behind her back as I brought mine to my front. We again stood there, swaying. But we both were looking at each other now and both of us had huge silly grins on our faces. She brought her hands back to her front and stepped closer to me, looping a finger through mine. I brought both her hands into mine as we finally got mere inches away from each other.

"Hey," she whispered.

"Hey."

"Sooo?"

"Yeah."

She closed her eyes as she brought her lips to mine. She tasted sweet. I let go of her hands and placed them on her waist. She started to giggle.

I pulled back and asked, "What?"

"Sorry, it's just weird. Ya know?"

"A little, I suppose."

I went back to kissing her and once again tried to pull her closer to me and once again she started to giggle. I let go, again. "Am I doing something wrong?"

"No! Not at all. I guess I'm just nervous."

"About what? You know me."

"Yeah but as a friend."

"Still the same guy who has lived across the street from you for nearly ten years. Still the same guy who has been your best friend just as long. Still the same guy I was yesterday."

"No, you're not. I mean, yes you are all of those things but now you're also something else." She looked at me questioningly, "Right?"

"Yeah, I guess so. I hope so."

"Okay, so let's try this again then. I promise to try to not laugh. I'm nervous."

"You have nothing to be nervous about," I said as I placed my hands on her face and kissed her again. This time she put her hands on the belt loops of my pants to bring me closer. This time, I giggled nervously.

"See! I'm not the only one," she laughed a little.

"I guess not. I guess we'll get better at this."

"Maybe we should try sitting down?" she offered.

So we sat down but we sat so awkwardly that it really didn't make things any easier. Why was kissing her now so different from before? We both far more easily got into it those couple of times before. Maybe it's because we were both now, knowingly, on the same page? She sat as close to me as we could be and we tried to kiss each other again. This time, I tried to be as confidant as I had been last night and it seemed to work. I worked my hand through her hair while we both deepened the kiss. As she laid down on the blanket, she pulled me with her. Now, we were finally done with the giggles.