Chapter Forty Nine

New Year's  Eve 2015 arrived and the boys and I did our final show to ring in 2016. It had been an amazing five years and I knew we'd be back together eventually. We parted ways and I went home.

Those first couple of weeks were heavenly. I got to sleep in and sleep whenever I wanted without being woken up. But after awhile, I got bored. I decided I needed to do what she had done – travel. Alone. I went to a few places on my own but then got a little lonely, so I met up with Thomas and a few other friends and we did some traveling across Southeast Asia together. I got to experience the places I had been to but hadn't actually been able to see. It was amazing and a real learning experience.

All this time, I had been writing here and there. Jotting my thoughts down. By the time I got back to London, I was ready to really sit down and write some music. I found out I had a lot to say. I also found out that she did, as well.

It was a late July evening, and I was in London, walking around when it began to rain. I hopped into a local pub to escape the rain. I ordered myself a pint and began drinking it when I noticed that there was a little stage off to my right with a piano set up on it. A couple of people were setting up a microphone.

I asked the bartender, "Someone performing tonight?"

"Yeah. This girl who has been here before. She has a bit of a residency with us. She's become quite popular with the locals so she comes back once a month or every other, if she's not off doing something else."

"Oh, cool. What kind of music?"

"Mostly, piano-oriented. Soft, simple, lovely. She's quite good. I don't know why she hasn't been snatched up by some record company. I keep urging her to do something about that."

"Huh. Interesting."

"She's got a homemade record though. It was brand new last month. She sold them during and after the show last month. I'm pretty sure she plans on doing the same tonight. I saw a couple of boxes of them being brought in when she arrived."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. She gave me one last month. It's really pretty good, especially since she said she made it on her own in her apartment. Quite impressive."

"Hmm. When does she come on?"

"Shortly. Stick around, fella. You're in for a quality show by a local favorite. One day, she'll be famous. You can say you saw her when." He got called by another patron, so he walked off.

I sat there for about a half hour before the bartender walked up onto the little stage to introduce their performer, "Ladies and gents, it's that time of month! Our favorite little Irish girl is here tonight." There was some applause and a few whoops from the more rowdy group closer to the stage. "Alright, alright. I know you're all excited to see her just be sure to give her some love and support and purchase her album before you head out the door tonight. She worked hard on it and it really is quite a gem. So, without further ado, here's a Siobhan Kelly!"

"What?" I nearly gave myself whiplash as I saw her tiny figure come out from behind a curtain and step onto that stage.

I watched as the girl I had last seen; last held; last kissed under the light of the moon sat down at a piano under a spotlight directed at her. I couldn't believe my eyes. It really was her. Her hair was different. Still long, but now a shade of pale purple. Almost the exact same color I had dyed mine for 1D Day a few years before. Except it looked better on her.

"Good evening, everyone," she said. I felt chills run down my spine. I hadn't heard her voice in so long. "Thank you all for coming out this evening. I do hope you enjoy the little show. This first song, I, uh, think we can all relate to. It's about how the things people say to each other can really bring us down; can really hurt us. I am originally from Northern Ireland, but my father and I moved to this little town in Ireland after my mother passed away. We were hoping to make a fresh start. Many of the people in that town were not so welcoming to us and often said some rather harsh things to us. I used to let that affect me more than I care to admit but I think as I've grown older and had more life experiences, that I have become more comfortable with who I am and where I come from. I think that's something we can all relate to. And, I hope, we can all one day see the brighter side of things. This is 'Golden'."

She began to play the piano and the voice I had always loved began to sing,

The fire used to burn, all the words used to hurt
But you're not like us, you are different
I couldn't see that that was a compliment
'Cause the last thing I want now is to be you
And the flames don't feel as hot as they used to

Burn, burn, burn
They used to yell
You thought I was coal
My friend, I'm gold
Can't you tell?

'Cause I'm not weak, I'm not broken I am bold
And the fire you put me through turned me into gold
I'm not done, I'm no loser
Watch me take on my bright future
Tonight I'm no bronze, I'm no silver
You'll be thinking, damn I knew her
But you didn't
Don't get it twisted

Out of the ashes you buried me in
I, I am golden
I, I am golden

You tried so hard to break me down
Like a fire-breathing dragon, but I guess I took your crown
You pushed for me to change for you
But I'm so glad that I stayed true to who I am

Burn, burn, burn
They used to yell
You thought I was coal
My friend, I'm gold
Can't you tell?

'Cause I'm not weak, I'm not broken, I am bold
And the fire you put me through turned me into gold
I'm not done, I'm no loser
Watch me take on my bright future
Tonight I'm no bronze, I'm no silver
You'll be thinking, damn I knew her
But you didn't
Don't get it twisted

Out of the ashes you buried me in
I, I am golden
I, I am golden

The fire that you tried to burn me with, it made me who I am
All the things that you said I couldn't do
Guess what, yes I can

'Cause I'm not weak, I'm not broken I am bold
And the fire you put me through turned me into gold
I'm not done, I'm no loser
Watch me take on my bright future
Tonight I'm no bronze, I'm no silver
You'll be thinking, damn I knew her
But you didn't
Don't get it twisted

Out of the ashes you buried me in
I, I am golden
I, I am golden, golden, gold
I, I am golden, golden, golden

When she finished, I couldn't even begin to describe the emotions running through my body. I was so incredibly proud of her but also disappointed in myself that I hadn't protected her as well as I thought I had done. I softly applauded as the rest of the crowd did the same.

The song Siobhan sings is by Ruth B. titled "Golden".